Thread: Is x.v. color worth it?

Is x.v. color worth it?

I just bought a camcorder with the Sony HC9 with xvColor option. What is this?
    Will get something out of it is this worth which i had paid for it ? or i have done another mistake in my life ?

Thank you!

Re: Is x.v. color worth it?

The only material using x.v.Color will be home recorded movies with x.v.Color-compatible camcorders. So most people probably won't see any benefit from x.v.Color.

The xv color is an option proposed by Sony that is supposed to optimize your colors when you view your pictures on a TV .

xv.Color is that the Sony name of xvYCC color space, supported by the HDMI 1.3 standard and most TVs and home theater video projectors all modern brands.

This is not at all an option (1.8 times wider than the traditional sRGB gammut) since in this mode, the signals are not encrypted on the scale 16 -- 235 as in traditional video, but on the scale of 8 bits: 0-255 (or 1-254 I do not know).

The main drawback to using this method is that if the provision of diffusion is not suitable, or not set to the same mode, the image appears with a capped contrast and image quality reduced. It must check the compatibility of equipment before they choose to run in this mode.

That will then give a visualization computer compressed wmv or h264? I imagine that the computer will not hurt to read all those colors, right?

it all depends on your compression ratio already!

A prior the xvYCC is not compatible with the DVD, so you forget it for SD output, however it is compatible with blu-ray so if you plan to mastering your pictures for HD output, you can use the xv. color, provided that all the programs you use are compatible, under penalty again not to enjoy (and even potentially losing quality).

For computer output I am not sure, but I think that they use the sRGB color space, so again, they are not a prior compatible with the extended xvYCC gamma.

The containers containing the TS AVCHD or MPEG should probably be compatible, but also the readers and the equipment are also connected.

However, according to the wikipedia article of the xvYCC logically was designed to be backward compatible with gammas smaller type REC.709 and sRGB, In fact the colors are the same on the standard scale, and the scale range is used to produce colors "deeper" but honestly I do not know what happens clipping when playing a stream on xvYCC standard equipment.

Because you're equipped, you could make a little test, filming a scene especially with the two color modes and compare the two images (for you can enjoy read the images on a modern HDTV compatible via HDMI included) .

yes i agree