Thread: Gtx 260 black edition problem

Gtx 260 black edition problem

hi,
    i have gtx 260 512 mb which stop working after installing Windows Vista Black Editionit. after starting windows it takes few minutes for startup and loading my pc either locks up or goes to the dreaded blue screen saying IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.Any help will be extremely appreciated.

Re: Gtx 260 black edition problem

I got this error when I played a game that came out recently. Ultimately, the game crashed when a cutscene played, and I got the same error as you.

I had to update my GeForce4 drivers from 30.82 to 40.72 and this problem went away. I'd guess it was a video error. Try updating your video drivers.

That error message is caused by faulty or incompatible hardware or software attempting to access a memory location without authorization. Suspect an incompatible driver, system service, virus scanner or backup program.

A Stop error could mean that you have some conflicting software, or driver issues, have you recently installed any new software or drivers,From what I have read is that if you are getting the error message, then that hardware might not be compatible with windows vista, and suggest that you buy hardware that is compatible with vista. What is the name and model number of your PC?

This error is almost always a hardware error. Most commonly it is the CPU overheating. A close second would be bad RAM and since yours occurs when trying to boot it's probably a RAM issue. See if you can borrow other RAm and see if the machine will boot with the replacement RAM - if it does then you know it's the RAM.
    If it doesn't next step would be to go into the BIOS, load Fail-Safe defaults, disable the onboard modem, sound and Lan and try booting again. If it boots enable one device at a time till you get the error and you'll have identified the problem.