Thread: How to add second display to get an extended desktop?

How to add second display to get an extended desktop?

hi,
    i have Intel Power Mac G5 dual 2.0GHz,the problem is there are many horizontal lines are appeared on display.Is it possible to make it an extended desktop on my particular iMac & how do I go about it?Any recommendations and suggestions are appreciated.

Re: How to add second display to get an extended desktop?

Use the second display to mirror the main display. You’d use this primarily when doing a presentation and you need a larger or second display to display to your audience. This is pretty common if you do a presentation from a laptop; you’d connect it to a projector which acts as a second display, then turn on mirroring.

Use the second display to add screen space to your computer setup. So instead of having the space on one display screen, you also have the space from the second display screen.

That model iMac is supposedly capable only of mirroring. But that's because Apple deliberately disabled the card to prevent cannibalizing sales of the PowerMac towers. There's a hack available at http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/supportlist_e.html that will allow the extended desktop. It's not guaranteed, and the site tells you that the maker of the hack can't be held liable for damage to the computer. So do it as your own risk.

hi,
    The iMac sports an mini-DVI output port with support for DVI, VGA, S-video, and composite video connections via an adapter (not included) and supports digital resolutions up to 1920 x 1200 and analog resolutions up to 2045 x 1536. One of the reasons I never bothered getting an iMac G5 is that I currently have over 40-inches of screen real estate on my desk.