Thread: WinTV HVR 1290 Tuner

WinTV HVR 1290 Tuner

I purchased an HP desktop with theWinTV HVR 1290 tuner andI'm having 3 problems: I1) the picture quality through my cable is poor ( my TV contected to the same cable is fine) 2) When I first go into MC to view TV, I get a "No Signal Found" message. But ifI change channels, the picture will appear and 3) I would like to copy some old VHS tapes, using my older VCR The HP has jacks in the front and on the tuner card, but I can't figure out how to capture the signal. Does any one help me with these issues?

Re: WinTV HVR 1290 Tuner

1. The cable linking your CPU to your monitor might not be properly plugged or has been damaged. You should hence ensure that the connection between the two devices has been properly done and that the cable’s state is fine.
    2. You might be facing a problem with your monitor if the CPU makes a single beep error sound when you switch on the system. You can check whether the problem comes from your monitor by testing it on another CPU. If you still have “No Signal” error displayed including the error beep, I would strongly suggest you to try to get your monitor fixed by a competent technician or to get a new monitor.
    3. If you receive several error beeps when starting the computer, this might be linked to a graphic card dysfunction. You can refer to the motherboard notice or check that the connection has been properly set.

Quote Originally Posted by newHPer View Post
    1) the picture quality through my cable is poor ( my TV contected to the same cable is fine)
    What are you using for a TV and is it reg cable or digital? I ask this because if the resolution on your TV is set very high and your signal is not great the high resolution will only magnify the flaws in the signal. If everything was HD you could just max out the resolution and it would look great.

Quote Originally Posted by newHPer View Post
    3) I would like to copy some old VHS tapes, using my older VCR The HP has jacks in the front and on the tuner card, but I can't figure out how to capture the signal. Does any one help me with these issues?
    Try this:

Hook cable output from wall into VCR cable IN.

Then hook the VCR's OUT to the HP tuner IN.

Set HP to channel 3. Now make sure that the VCR will output to channel 3 (switch on back of VCR).

In this setup you are using the VCR as a tuner. See if you can set the HP to display the cable channels via the VCR. If you can see something on HP's channel 3, then the setup is correct. Try changing the channels on the VCR. Go through 2 through 11. Just to verify.

If that works, then play a tape. While it's playing, if you don't see anything, try pressing the TV/VCR button on the VCR's remote or front panel.

If that doesn't work, post your VCR's manufacturer and model number.

Also, if you're trying to copy copy protected content, you may run into problems. Try something you recorded.

One other thing: go into media center TV signal. Set it to antenna. Then set it to NTSC (analog).

Thanks Killer, I'm going to try your suggestions. Keep you posted.

Well, when connecting the VCR as you suggest., all I would get is the sound portion, no video. Also tried usingthe video jacks and the same thing. Any other ideas or is the Pinnacle hardware & software the next options? Thanks again for the suggestions.

> Make sure that the graphic (video) card is installed in your computer.

> Enable the video card in Windows Device Manager.

> Contact your hardware manufacturer for the information about updating the driver.