Thread: Strange Problems with New Video Card

Strange Problems with New Video Card

Recently I bought a 4gb of G.Skill DDR2 ram for my system to my performance in games.I have a EVGA 640-P2-N825-AR motherboard with a GeForce 8800GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card. I am really not getting as where is the problem regarding video card. when ever i start my computer, i am not able to see display. i am also not able to boot my computer.

Please help

Re: Strange Problems with New Video Card

Does anything at all show up on the screen with the monitor power on, or is it just as black as before you powered on the CPU? We aren't demanding any signs of intelligent life in this case, any sign of life will do.

Assuming the system power comes up, does the monitor power come on? Most monitors have a status LED on the front bezel that should show green, orange, or blinking if the monitor is powered on. You can also hear most monitors power on with a gentle sound, though I can't describe it beyond saying it's the sound of a CRT tube warming up. Make sure the monitor is plugged into a good outlet by testing the outlet with a lamp or any other device that will prove beyond a doubt that the outlet is good. Make sure that the power cord is either permanently attached at the monitor end or that it is seated fully in the socket, since partial cord insertion is the most common failure for monitors with detachable cords.

LCD displays don't make any sound when you turn them on, but they don't have a simple power cord, either. LCD monitors are usually powered by an external transformer, which in turn is powered from a regular AC outlet. If the LCD display doesn't show any signs of life, make sure that the cords into and out of the transformer are fully seated. Some transformers are equipped with a status LED to show when they are operating, though you can also check for live output with a DC voltmeter. The power connection to the LCD display is often awkward to inspect, recessed into the back of the display. The important thing is to make sure it is started correctly, then seated all the way.

Few things related to computers are more embarrassing than taking your monitor for repair and finding out that the brightness was turned all the way down. This frequently happens with exposed dials when you pick up the computer monitor and move it, though a prankster might also turn down the settings when they're concealed behind a pop-out door right under the screen. Make sure that manual brightness and contrast controls on the monitor are set somewhere in the middle of their range, since it's not always obvious which way is maximum or minimum. If the monitor is alive, turning the brightness and contrast all the way up will often result in the screen lighting up a little. The easiest way to check if the monitor is good is to simply attach it to another working PC.

If you see nothing but a single underline character blinking on and off, usually in the top left-hand corner of the screen, there's probably a problem with initializing the video adapter. That could be caused by the adapter being improperly seated, the motherboard not initializing the adapter properly, or any other motherboard related failure.

Most new monitors will display something such as "No signal source," or "Attach video signal," as long as they are healthy, and powered on. These messages should appear even if the PC or video adapter is dead. This is actually one of the more useful innovations in monitor technology, because it offers definitive proof that the computer monitor or LCD display is alive and most likely capable of displaying an image if a video signal was present. Unfortunately, it only proves something by its presence, since older monitors and cheaper models may not display anything at all.