Thread: Problem with Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT

Problem with Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT

I recently boughta new nvidia geforce video card a month back. i have nvidia geforce 9800 GT video card and it had been working fine. i recently installed windows XP x64 and the updated drivers and everything worked great till i installed a 3D application such as games, and my entire system started freezing with some green pixels on the entire screen.

Please provide some help regarding this problem

Your help will be appreciated

Re: Problem with Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT

That board has onboard video?
    If so, check to make sure it's disabled in the bios and pci-e is set as the initial display.
    Hope this helps.

Does any other video card work on your board?
    If not then the obvious and painfull answer is that your pci-e slot is damaged and you need a new board.
    I take it that your onboard graphics works when you boot with it......
    Hopefuly you have some warranty left on the mobo otherwise look at a different mobo manufacturer...I personally don't like ASUS boards anymore because they are not that reliable anymore...I'ld rather buy GIGABYTE, INTEL or FOXCONN boards.

Make sure your plugged into the correct port. Might need to try both of them to see what one its actually using.

Also make sure your 4/8 pin connector is plugged into your motherboard. Sounds like this could be the problem.

You could try using some contact cleaner and spray the slot then insert and remove the card several times.
    Other then that it should still show post as it's the basic of display settings.
    Maybe you'll have to send that card in for replacement or the mobo.
    Can't really understand what is preventing a working vid card from working in a working pci-e slot.

Can't say I've heard of this phenomenon as your 7600GT probably draws more power from the motherboard due to it not having a power plug on it then the 9800GT which gets most of it's power from the power plug.
    I should have asked this earlier...what power supply do you have and how many amps are on the +12V rail(s).

Card is faulty.

Lines + freezing in games = card that will die sooner or later.

What you're probably seeing now are intermittent faults.
    Get it exchanged under warranty.

I had a Gigabyte 8800GT that started off with lines+freezing, then blocks+freezing.

Reinstalling drivers seemed to have helped, but i think it was just a co-incident. The card was intermittently having issues so i took it back to the store.

The quickest way for an RMA is actually to list out all the diagnostic things you've done, take photos of the lines and give it to the store.