Thread: Firewire Ports on Motherboard?

Firewire Ports on Motherboard?

Hello , I would like to know if it is possible to mount a card with firewire ports on my motherboard? My motherboard is a Chaintech Zenith 9EJS1. If it's possible then please recommend any Good card ? Thank you in advance for your answers.

Re: Firewire Ports on Motherboard?

Hello , You might be more successful at finding a suitable add-in card than I was. But even if you do, it’ll need to be connected to the front panel port leads via an adaptor or suitable cable. You may need to either get one specially made or source one from overseas. I couldn’t find one offered for sale here in any listing I looked at. I’ve only seen cards which have a Firewire port itself on the cards PCB for an ‘internal connector’. I’ve not found one listed or mentioned anywhere which has a pin header such as the ones you see on motherboards for connecting to a case front panel port. You’d need a cable or converter like this one shown above, which I found listed on an overseas website in order to connect it to that front panel!

Hello , You can Add The Firewire connectivity to your PC with a Firewire (IEEE1394) Card. You must use a PCI or PCI Express card to add firewire to a computer. You cannot convert firewire to USB,

FireWire-based devices can connect to each other in a series, so adding extra FireWire ports isn’t always as necessary as adding USB ports. Like a USB hub, a chain of FireWire devices share the same bandwidth, so if speed is important, you may prefer to install additional ports via expansion slots at the rear of your PC or in a free bay on the front panel. External FireWire hubs are ideal if you can’t daisy chain your FireWire devices and want an easy way to add extra FireWire ports to your PC.

Many FireWire cards and hubs also include extra USB ports. For example, the RC-110-LX ($17.99) from Rosewill includes two 6-pin FireWire ports, three external USB ports, and one internal USB port. Iogear’s USB 2.0/FireWire Combo Hub ($39.95) provides three 6-pin FireWire ports and four USB ports.

Front-panel FireWire ports fit into your PC the same as internal memory card readers, but you'll need to make the internal connection to a FireWire header on your motherboard, rather than an internal USB connector or 4-pin USB header. The installation process for an add-in FireWire card is the same as an add-in USB card. To install an external FireWire hub, just connect a FireWire cable between FireWire ports on your PC and hub.

Hello , I Have Find out that your motherboard has 1 IEEE 1394 Firewire port via 5.25" bay expansion header and a additional IEEE 1394 Firewire port via PCI expansion header so you might be able to connect it using an extension Firewire is also known as IEEE 1394. It is basically a high performance serial bus for digital and audio equipment to exchange data. The technology preceded USB but yet is faster than any current USB port. Often used for transferring digital video to the PC straight from a digital camera. The FireWire header onboard means you can install a FireWire port on your machine. Again these cables are often supplied as an optional extra which you will need to check with the retailer to see if they are supplied with your board. hope it will you Thanks in advance