Thread: No video, Help please!!

No video, Help please!!

So here's my problem, I have no video. My computer turns on, but I get no video, I have tried the video card in another computer, and it works fine, as well as the power supply and monitor, so I can rule out those at least.
    This system has been up and running for about 3 months, and one day the video just up and quit on me. Since then, it would turn on, and the video would work for a few seconds, then go out. Now, it just doesn't come on at all.

Here is my setup:

Asus P5QPro Mobo
    MSI R4850 Video card
    4GB Corsair Ram
    Window Vista Home Premium
    Intel E8400 processor

Any one have any ideas? Thanks for looking.
    Last edited by Jbuns; 20-03-2009 at 06:13 AM.

Re: No video, Help please!!

Do you get any error or something ?

Try these steps to resolve the issue:

1. Make sure that the monitor is turned on and has power. Make sure that the display's power cord is plugged into a working wall outlet, and that it's properly connected to the power adapter. (To check if the wall socket is working, plug in a lamp or other electrical device.)
    2. Check that all video cable connections to the computer video port and to the monitor are properly connected.
    3. Examine the pins on the video cable connector to make sure they are not bent or damaged in any way.
    4. Connect a known working display (if you have an extra one available). If you see video after doing so, replace your old display.
    5. Reset the computer's parameter RAM. (Click the link for instructions.)
    6. On your system, reset the computer's PMU. (Click the link for instructions.) For Power Macintosh G3, Power Mac G4, or Power Mac G5 computers, check your user guide for the location of the PMU reset button on the logic board.
    7. Next we're going to check to see if the computer has video when started up from a disc:
    1. Find the Install or Restore disc that came with the computer. Insert the Software Install and Restore disc into your CD/DVD drive.
    2. Shut down your computer.
    3. Once it's off, hold down the C key on the keyboard and start up your computer. This will start up the computer from the Software Install and Restore disc instead of your hard drive.
    4. If you see video when started up from disc, you may have corrupted software.
    8. If you tried all of the steps above and the computer still won't display video, contact your technical support.

With a lot of newer pci-e cards you need a powerful enough power supply to make it output. And also some require a special 6 prong power connector from the psu. Make sure you have enough power first off by checking the specs on the card. Normally on the back of the box it came in it says minimum requirements. Atleast a 450 is most likely required...and on top of that you may need the gpu power connector as mentioned above. Make sure you meet requirements...and that should fix your output issue as Ive had the seen this issue before.

Thanks for the replies everyone,

SecRecy, I have no errors, there is no video at all,

Appy10, The monitor is good, I've tested it on another computer, and tested another monitor on this one with the same results. None of your other suggestions produced results, thanks though.

Marthaz, The power supply is good, and putting out plenty of power, it's a 700W Seasonic with the 6pin video card power on it. And has been tested with another computer with this same video card to verify both the card and power supply.

Thanks for the replies, next time I'll check the easy stuff first, just had a bad stick of memory.

Thanks again, case closed.