Thread: emachine disk read error

emachine disk read error

hi,
    i have NEW eMachine eMD620-5133 Laptop AMD Athlon 1.6GHz,when i start I now get the following:

"Press F11 to start recoveryA disk read error occurred Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart"If I press Ctrl+Alt+Del, it just returns to the same screen. Also, when my PC first starts up a get a blue screen, which never appeared before.
    What has happened and what is the solution?Can anyone help!!!

Re: emachine disk read error

hi,
    try system restore to solve the problem go to start-> all programs ->accessories ->system tools-> system restore.

Yeah, that sounds like a bad hard drive... if it is the only thing I can think of to fix it would be zero filling it (probably using a Linux CD.) The problem is that if you do that you'll lose your files... do you have a backup of everything important?
    the boot menu on the BIOS seems to be OK, but I have to say that I've never seen a BIOS that just says "Main Hard Drive" and doesn't have the brand name and stuff like that.

Check your Boot Device Order and make sure that it is checking the drives in the right order. If you do'nt have a problem there, you may need to carefully reinstall WinXP.

If you find that your HDD is bad or if you wanted to upgrade, buy a new HDD and install windows on the new drive. Be sure to disconnect the old drive before installing the new drive, but leave the old drive in the computer.

Once WinXP is install on the new drive, reconnect the old drive as a slave drive and use a disk recovery program to pull any recoverable data off the old drive.