Thread: monitor/display problem

monitor/display problem

hi friends,
    i am facing a very unique kind of problem...when i start my computer it starts with black lines horiqzontal and vertical and on windows xp screen the monitor goes blank.....and its everytime....i tried to boot on safe mode and it works fine.....really confused as to what is the problem...pls help me!!!!!
    my config..
    17inch crt monitor
    amd athlon 3000+
    asus a8ne mobo
    1 gb ram
    256 mb nvidia 6600gt graphic card
    250 gb hard disk
    please help me ,i m in direstraits...

Re: monitor/display problem

Hi!
    It seem like your graphics card has ditched you... If your Graphics card is under warranty, get it replaced else get it repaired. But it is better if you buy a new one...!
    All the best!

Since your monitor works fine in safe mode, then there is nothing wrong with your video. If you're lucky, it's a loose connection to the screen, doubtful though. The first thing most people do is push on the sides of the bezel to see if it is a connection. What it really is are dead pixels and requires a new lcd screen. There is a program for fixing dead pixels that would be worth a shot.
    Undead Pixel or Undead Pixel Home Page.

You should ensure that it's the monitor and not something else. If you can, try your monitor on another machine and try another monitor on the affected machine. This will tell you if the problem is the monitor or the machine.

Sometimes strange things can happen if there are badly behaving electrical devices on the same circuit. Turn everything on the circuit off (printer, fax machine, overhead lights, everything) and see if that clears the image at all. You might also want to try relocating the machine in a different part of the house and see if that makes a difference. This may sound silly, but I remember a person who had a problem with their monitor after they installed a new flourescent light that was introducing interference.

If you try other monitors on the system, and they show the same lines, you most likely have a graphics card issue.

If you try the monitor on other systems and try the monitor in different locations and the lines still show, your monitor most likely has a power supply issue. I believe that this is repairable but, unless your monitor is very expensive, is really not worth the costs of repair.