Thread: Hook Laptop to TV

Hook Laptop to TV

Hello, One of my friend connect his laptop with TV and play games, listen music and watch videos with help of his laptop. He use his TV screen as his laptop screen. I also bought a laptop last week and i wanted to know how to do that? Can anybody help me out?

Re: Hook Laptop to TV

Sure i will help you u need to buy s-video cable which connects laptop to tv and u will be able to watch your videos on TV screen it cost around 200 Rs.
    buy 7 Pin to 3 RCA S-video cable

Yes, you also can do that with your laptop. There are many things you can do with a laptop computer that you can't easily do with a desktop computer. Because a laptop is smaller and lighter it is well suited for many tasks. First, ensure that your TV and laptop have S-Video ports because some of the expensive laptops and bigscreen TV has that. If not you will need to buy a connector that connects to the S-video output of the laptop allowing you to attach a standard video cable from the connector to your TV. Depending on the converter cable you may be able to hook it directly to your TV if it is long enough, otherwise you will need a standard video cable to make up the additional distance from the converter cable to your TV.

If you have S-Video ports then you will need to purchase a few cables. If you have a lot of audio/video equipment already then you may already have some or all of the cables needed to connect your laptop to your TV.Now follow this steps:-

1. Connect the two.

2. Start up your laptop,

3. Go into your display settings (Right click the desktop,Properties>Settings)

4. Look for a second monitor.

5. Press "Test" and you should see a big number on your TV and Laptop.

Thats it you can now enjoy your tv screen as your laptop screen

Well, it helped me. i am now able to play games and all as my friend do. Thank you all for the tips. One more thing i wanted to know is that is it possible to do the same with HDTV?

Yes , you can also connect laptop with your HDTV also.HDTV you may have some options that will give you a higher quality image than you would get with an S-video cable or a yellow composite video cable.There are now some laptops/computers that come with an HDMI output port built-in. If your HDTV has an HDMI input then all you would need to connect the two devices would be an HDMI cable.

With the price of High Definition Televisions (HDTVs) falling in the last few years it is tempting to use your HDTV as a computer monitor.You might think that it is hard to convert your High Definition Television to a computer monitor, but infact its very simple, just go through this process :-

1. Typical DVI Connector Interface Typical DVI Connector Interface Move your computer next to your HDTV. Set it up so your cord can reach both components. Determine if your computer has a DVI (Digital Video Interface) Card installed. If not, install one in your computer or buy an external DVI Card.

2. HDMI Connector HDMI Connector Determine if your HDTV has a HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface) interface. Most modern HDTVs have HDMI interfaces.

3. Attach a HDMI to DVI Converter to one end of your HDMI cord or buy a cord with HDMI and DVI connectors. Connect your HDMI cord to the HDMI input on your television and the DVI to the DVI input on your computer.

4. Turn on your computer and HDTV. Your television has a native resolution that may be different from your computer’s resolution. Adjust your television’s resolution to what your computer is able to display. Consult your HDTV manual for your television’s native resolution and how to adjust it.

5. Create a custom resolution. You may be required to create a custom resolution if your HDTV’s native resolution won’t match your DVI output resolution. Custom resolution procedures will vary. Consult your computer manual on how to do this.

Now you can enjoy your new HDTV computer monitor.