Thread: ATI Radeon HD 4870 1GB DDR5

ATI Radeon HD 4870 1GB DDR5

Alrighty, I got my brand new computer up and running specs are:

CPU: Intel Core i7 920
    Memory: 6.0GB G-Skill
    HardDrive: 250GB Corsair
    Video Card: Radeon HD 4870
    Sound Card: Onboard

I play Counter-Strike competitively, and the ASUS motherboard has this program called EPU-6 Engine. Pretty much I have 5 Options those being:

Auto Mode
    Turbo
    High Performance
    Medium Power Saving Mode
    Max Power Saving Mode

Each one has its perks:
    Turbo being high in Performance and Reliability
    High Performance being less Performance and more Energy Saving
    Medium Power Saving Mode being high on Energy Saving and Tranquility
    Max Power Saving Mode high on all 3 Energy Saving, Tranquility, and Reliability

Pretty Much The problem I am having is that when I have the setting at Turbo or High Performance counter-strike has a freeze for 1 sec. Then I continue doing what I was doing. This is unacceptable in this game. When I change it to Medium Power Saving Mode there is NO freeze. I want max performance with NO freeze like the Medium. Anything I can do, anyone know what is causing this 1 sec freeze? It is a 1 second freeze and it happens about every 2 minutes or so. I don't know what to do.

Any feedback helps! Thanks!

Re: ATI Radeon HD 4870 1GB DDR5

try to change your counter strike settings i.e the game resolution as well as it's related options. Changing few settings in the resolution and video option may help your computer not to freeze the screen and thus you can enjoy the game

Which ASUS motherboard you talking about ? is it happens with counter strike only ? or is it happens with all games? If only with counter strike then changing the display settings of the game will help. If happens with all games then you should consider a Medium Power Saving Mode.

Hi,millipede

It's good that there is one more Counter Strike freak who wanted to take maximum satisfaction out of the game, lets about your problem, your rig is very high end and In my case I had never get any kind of options out there so it would be little difficult for me to give any suggestions without experiencing the problem, so as soon as I will get any suggestions will let you know.
    Till then Go Go go...

Regards

I don't play any other game other than counterstrike, so I don't know for sure. Changing the display options in counterstrike would make me worse, as I am accustom to my certain settings ingame. Resolution 640x480. 32bit(mandatory), Renderer: OpenGL, and Display Mode: Normal, and Max Gamma & Brightness.

You have to play with OpenGL, I am not using Widescreen display mode, and The gamma/brightness shouldn't be effecting the freeze. Its weird that its only when I change to Turbo or High Performance. Its unfortunate because if it didn't freeze in these 2 modes, I would be able to play so much smoother I imagine. I have enough fans, so that shouldn't be the problem at least I think.

I have the ASUS P6T Motherboard.

Should I take a stick or 2 of my ram out? Windows XP max is 3GB I think so 6GB isn't necessary.

I spent $1200 on this computer, and its to bad that I freeze in Counter-Strike when the game doesn't require much at ALL.
    Last edited by millipede; 24-02-2009 at 09:33 AM.

Do you play counter stirke online?If yes, then what latency and ping rate in any server you are getting? Suppose if you dont get the minimum ping rate in any counter strike server then you are tend to get 2 second or 4 second freeze while playing the game. The best solution for this would be to get a good internet connection other than that I dont know any. I bet that if you will play any other game like GTA 4, even then you would get a good 20 fps rate or so.

Quote Originally Posted by unidentified View Post
    Do you play counter stirke online?If yes, then what latency and ping rate in any server you are getting? Suppose if you dont get the minimum ping rate in any counter strike server then you are tend to get 2 second or 4 second freeze while playing the game. The best solution for this would be to get a good internet connection other than that I dont know any. I bet that if you will play any other game like GTA 4, even then you would get a good 20 fps rate or so.
    hehe ya I play it online. I have been playing cs for 8 years or so. I only play on Chicago servers (Latency 20), I have good internet. I have bad routing to Texas servers therefore I don't play on them. I shouldn't ever freeze if I am playing on any server. Its something to do with my computer/graphics card I assume. Thanks for the response though I do appreciate anything.

Try updating your graphic card driver to the latest one.
    AMD: the Catalyst 9.2 are available for download

I will def try this thanks!

I have some more info on this issue. I make a LAN game, and it does NOT freeze with Turbo or High Performance. But when I go join an online game (Chicago Server) with Turbo on I freeze, but High Performance doesn't freeze. This is after I installed the latest drivers.