Thread: Can We Use AGP 8X Graphics card In AGP 4x Slot ?

Can We Use AGP 8X Graphics card In AGP 4x Slot ?

Hello,
    I have a motherboad Which have Agp 4X slot. I got it at a cheap rate , My problem is that i m planing to purchase Graphics card but nowaday all graphics card are greather the 4X So will my new Agp 8X card would be able to run on slower and be limited to agp 4x on my old motherboard or will it not work at all if i plug it in?please help me e out Guys
    Thanks

Re: Can We Use AGP 8X Graphics card In AGP 4x Slot ?

AGP cards are backward and forward compatible within limits. 1.5 V-only keyed cards will not go into 3.3 V slots and vice versa, though "Universal" slots exist which accept either type of card. AGP Pro cards will not fit into standard slots, but standard AGP cards will work in a Pro slot. Some cards, like Nvidia's GeForce 6 series or ATI's Radeon X800 series, only have keys for 1.5 V to prevent them from being installed in older mainboards without 1.5 V support. Some of the last modern cards with 3.3 V support were the Nvidia GeForce FX series and the ATI Radeon 9500/9700/9800(R350) (but not 9600/9800(R360)).

It is important to check voltage compatibility as some cards incorrectly have dual notches and some motherboards incorrectly have fully open slots. Furthermore, some poorly designed older 3.3 V cards incorrectly have the 1.5 V key. Inserting a card into a slot that does not support the correct signaling voltage may cause damage.

There are some proprietary exceptions to this rule. For example, Apple Power Macintosh computers with the Apple Display Connector (ADC) have an extra connector which delivers power to the attached display. Additionally, moving cards between computers of various CPU architectures may not work due to firmware issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Dadhij View Post
    Hello,
    I have a motherboad Which have Agp 4X slot. I got it at a cheap rate , My problem is that i m planing to purchase Graphics card but nowaday all graphics card are greather the 4X So will my new Agp 8X card would be able to run on slower and be limited to agp 4x on my old motherboard or will it not work at all if i plug it in?please help me e out Guys
    Thanks
    No, They are backwards compatible only which means an 4x card will work on a 8x AGP slot but NOT vice versa

sorry

Ok, AGP 2x/4x is a speed, not a type or a different size slot. The forwards slash (/) means or. which means that that motherboard can run an AGP Card at 2x or 4x speeds as long as the card is rated for it. a 4x/8x card like I listed would work, but a plain 8x wont. But there are other things that determine the compatibility of an AGP card. There were revisions in the past that had to do with voltages, and cards of a different revision that a motherboard does not support wont work and it could damage the card or motherboard. Telling what revision you have lies in the date you bought it, and the speed.

• Revision 1=1996 and supports 1x and 2x
    • Revision 2=1998, supports 1x, 2x, and 4x
    • Revision 3=2002, supports all AGP Speeds

There are voltage changes in there too, but we wont worry about that.
    Now, I believe that an AGP 2x/4x slot is universal in a way that it has no little notches that prevent you from putting in the wrong card. This is because AGP 2x and AGP 4x cards have the notches on the card in different places, so any AGP cvard will fit in them.

The bottomline is that your 8X video card can theoretically be safely TESTED in any 1.5V motherboard for compatibility. But if you know for a fact that your board only runs 1.5V AGP 2.0 spec and your 8X AGP 3.0 card runs only 0.8v spec, then the two should NOT be compatible one another. At the very least it will be unstable, if it runs at all. However, we've had a lot of users tell us that their AGP 8x cards work on 4x only motherboards. This is likely due to the fact that some AGP8X video cards are in fact universal 1.5V capable AGP3.0 cards that can run on either 1.5V or 0.8V (remember, AGP speeds are backwards compatible, only voltage incompatibilies cause problems). The other possibility