Thread: Upgradeable Graphics Cards?

Upgradeable Graphics Cards?

Hi,
    i want to ask whether and when it will be upgradeable graphics cards. I think the manufacturers would certainly be on the other hand, they prefer a completely new map instead of selling the users the possibility to give the graphics card upgrade for a time. But somehow that it would also be marketed commercially. I imagine it before the graphics card for graphics-less and it is motherboard GPU and ram changable as the normal motherboard. If it would be easy it would probably already give, so I want you experte times to ask what the thinking is wrong and why something does not exist.

Re: Upgradeable Graphics Cards?

GPU's work fundamentally different than CPU's. While CPU's are standardized (because it is just technically) are GPU's on high performance without compromise. As a result, the GPU each their own clock frequencies, and bus timing is concerned. Thus, it is not possible, a common core for GPU's to be found, just as it makes sense to the memory modules.Example, my old 8800GT and my new GTX260. The 512MB on the 8800GT were perfect, I never ran any limit. A GTX260 with 512MB RAM makes no sense, would soon be offset by higher resolution (the first by this computing power is possible) and AA out of RAM. Conversely makes 8800GT with 1024MB will not make much sense (there are however a few exceptions) because the computing power would not be sufficient to resolutions or AA to drive 1024MB really need.

Oh yes, and then there is the difference in bus width, the 8800GT has 256bit and the GTX260 448bit (512bit even the GTX280 )....

hi,
    a graphics card must be properly balanced, only a part exchange brings very little. Also, they could not interchangeable sockets achieve the clock frequencies.

There are probably only two basic reasons to upgrade a video card:

1. Your current card has poor performance.

2. You just "want" faster video performance.

If you think your current video card is performing poorly, there are a couple of things you should do prior to upgrading your video card. The first thing your should do is give your computer a "tune-up". This involves things like running Defrag, Scandisk, virus checkers etc.