Thread: PCI Express Graphic Card problem

PCI Express Graphic Card problem

Hello, I have a new GeForce 6600 PCI-Express video card in a Dell Dimension with Windows XP installed with 2 GB RAM, and 250 GB hard disk. I installed the card and drivers for it , however, during boot up I receive error message stating that the card is running in 1x mode instead of 16x mode and it asks me if I want to continue or enter BIOS setup. However, there is nothing to configure in the BIOS about the video card or the PCI-E slot on the motherboard. What would be cause of running the card in 1x mode?
    thanks

Re: PCI Express Graphic Card problem

Actually this problem started occurring with other motherboards and chipsets going back to the 965 chipset . I'm sure you probably already found this out but I mention it anyway...the system might exhibit this behaviour if the PCI Express Frequency is left at AUTO in the BIOS. You may have to change it from AUTO to a set value. The default value is 100MHz but I've read one forum that a guy had to set his to 110MHz to get rid of the problem.

If you PCI-e bus slot is set at 100 Mhz and the video card set at x1, then It would be possible that the video card is faulty. you can try with everything at stock speed just to make sure that overclocking isn't causing the problem and then you could try a different video card.

hello i had the similar problem so I put the card back into my computer and it shows up as 16x. So swapping cards, booting the computers, then they swapping them apparently works for some reason.and have you installed the latest Intel Chipset software? It tells the OS how to configure the Intel chipset components in order to ensure that the features function properly. One of the features is pcie support.

You can download the latest version from the Intel website here:
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Prod...?ProductID=816