Thread: I need some help with my Radeon HD 4830.

I need some help with my Radeon HD 4830.

Hello.

I have a few questions regarding the Radeon HD 4830. I bought this card yesterday, and so far it's been working great. My brother installed the card for me, as I don't know how to do it myself. Whenever I start the computer, I get 2 messages in the icontray telling me that new hardware has been found. These are "PCI Driver" and "ATI High Definition Audio". My brother told me to ignore them, but I don't know what I should do, should I install them? I already have the catalyst pack that includes Catalyst, display driver and WDM drivers, are these something different?

Now to my second question. I discovered the tool "ATI OverDrive" in Catalyst, which is a tool for overclocking the GPU, and I got tempted to use it. But first I want to know if there are any risks, that the card can malfunction or not work properly? Is it also safe to use "AtiTools" for overclocking?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Re: I need some help with my Radeon HD 4830.

I discovered the tool "ATI OverDrive" in Catalyst, which is a tool for overclocking the GPU, and I got tempted to use it. But first I want to know if there are any risks, that the card can malfunction or not work properly? Is it also safe to use "AtiTools" for overclocking?
    You can use overdrive, but don't rely on the auto-clock feature, whenever it is auto-detecting it always clocks it too high and you will have to restart your PC.If you enable ATI Overdrive, and use a 3rd party manual over-clocking utility to set your graphics processor clock to an over-clocked speed, ATI Overdrive will automatically reduce the graphics processor frequency if ATI Overdrive detects that graphics processor is too hot. If ATI Overdrive is not enabled, any 3rd party manual over-clocking utility can be used to set the graphics processor to any desired speed.

You can use it to find a your card limit but dont beleive what it says...you usally have a good 10 - 20Mhz more then what it says your max is.......

but there is no harm in using this ati for overclocking

I have to say from personal experiance that "ATI Tool" is buggy and still needs some work to be a better program..id suggest for first time overclocking to use somthing like the latest Radlinker or Rage3D Tweak, these programs are easy to use and very reliable..Radlinker would prolly be the better pick of the bunch, also make sure you use a good artifact tester such as 3DMark03 and rthdribl to check the stabilty of your video card for overclocking procedure.

Thanks alot for the answers.. I think I'll stay away from any 3rd party tools like atitool and just use ATI Overdrive for safety. These "Artifact" things sounds a bit too complicated, don't want to ruin anything just a day after I got the card. I'll use ATI Overdrive and see how that works. By the way, can I restore it to normal speed if I use ATI Overdrive or will it always be overclocked?

I am using the Auto-Tune feature now.. I pressed cancel cause the temperature increased by 10 celcius during the auto-tune when it reached 590 (default is 580).. Is that bad? Or does it normally heat up alot durign the auto-tune feature? Does it cool down afterwards?
    Last edited by Sorkenlol; 30-01-2009 at 07:52 PM.

Hey how much did the 4830 cost you and from where. I am planning on getting one myself.