Thread: Connecting TV set top box to HD TV

Connecting TV set top box to HD TV

Hi All,

I have a set top box from Hathway which has RCA output(Red, Yellow and White wires). I want it to connect to my Sony LCD tv which has an HDMI input. Can I get a cable which can convert this RCA to HDMI? Has anyone tried this before? Please help..

Thanks in advance,
    Kiran

Re: Connecting TV set top box to HD TV

Just go for HDMI Converter which will be having an audio/video input and HDMI as the output.

Set-top boxes can have two different types of output - SCART sockets and RF/UHF/Co-ax sockets, and there are important differences:

• SCART: Connecting a set-top box to a TV or recorder using SCART is the preferred route, as u sing SCART gives you better picture quality, widescreen switching and stereo audio from your set-top box. When connected using SCART, the feed from the set-top box doesn't appear on a TV channel, instead it comes in via the TV or recorder's AV or Line-In feed.
    • RF/Co-ax: Most set-top boxes have a coax output socket. On many boxes, the co-ax output is just a 'loopthrough' which is used to route the aerial feed through the box so that it can be used by a TV or recorder. On some boxes, however, the co-ax output is modulated, which means that when connected to a TV set or recorder, you can tune one of your TV / recorder presets into the channel that the video or set-top box 'modulates' on.

Each ordinary TV signal (BBC1, BBC2, etc) is on a dedicated channel (a number between 21 and 68), and you need to tune your TV preset buttons into each channel. If a set-top box or video has a modulated co-ax output, it's capable of generating its own channel (between 21 and 68), which you have to tune a TV preset into.

With an RF co-ax connection, picture quality is worse than SCART, and you won't get stereo sound from your set-top box

For more information see here : http://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/connect.html

Hi Guys,

thanks a lot for the quick replies..

@Samar: Can you please let me know where I can find/buy the HDMI converter you are talking about.. I live in Bangalore.. Any place you know or any online shop is fine.

thanks again,
    Kiran

http://shopping.rediff.com/shop/prod...ompg=converter

Just take a look over here. This is something which I was talking about. I stay in Mumbai, so don't know about your place where to purchase. However you can use rediff shopping to shop online.

Hi Samar,

Thanks for the link.. but this converter is a VGA to HDMI converter. What I probably should use is a RCA to HDMI converter. Am i correct?
    Or may be I am wrong.

BR, Kiran

Hi Kiran,

u can find the RCA to HDMI converter in the below URL
    Last edited by anandhr; 21-03-2009 at 05:21 PM.

I dont see what advantage you guys are trying to gain by converting an anolog signal (supplied via RCA - CoAx) into HDCP (or HDMI which is digital) - [other than fancying an HDMI feed into your HD capable Tv!!]. The video processing circuits within the set top box you have is capable of producing analog signals only (which means the fidelity is already lost!)... And when you attempt to convert it into digital (HDCP) by adding some intermediary converters, you dont gain any improvement in picture or sound quality. The set to box that intercepts the signal from carrier must be the one to generate HDCP content (digitla output) for faithful reproduction (clarity) and transmission of sound and light!