Thread: Vertical lines on laptop screen

Vertical lines on laptop screen

Hi,

I have a problem with the LCD screen of my laptop, several vertical lines of different colors have emerged. it started back 4 / 5 months and but now they are regular I think it's a physical problem of the screen because the lines are always in the same place and appeared in the lighting of the screen. Does anyone have an idea of the problem and especially if a repair solution exists.

thanks a lot for any help . please let me know if you need more info...

Re: Vertical lines on laptop screen

it seem like the screen maybe the cause , power line connecting a column of pixels is failing, resulting in a limited number of colors it can show. you can give it back and get it fixed under warranty. I've heard of similar happening and the screen lasting for years with said problem, it is very annoying though.

You can Try connecting an external monitor to you parallel display port at the back of laptop to check if the same lines occur on the display or not If the monitor display is fine, then your laptop’s LCD display panel is defective.[if the vertical line is also present on the external monitor., then your problem is with either the video card or motherboard located inside your laptop.
    Not sure if your laptop has an external monitor plug, but if it does the above procedure can be applied to that one as well.

Quote Originally Posted by David23 View Post
    You can Try connecting an external monitor to you parallel display port at the back of laptop to check if the same lines occur on the display or not If the monitor display is fine, then your laptop’s LCD display panel is defective.[if the vertical line is also present on the external monitor., then your problem is with either the video card or motherboard located inside your laptop.
    Not sure if your laptop has an external monitor plug, but if it does the above procedure can be applied to that one as well.
    yup david is right If display works on screen then the video memory should be OK. Vertical lines may mean the column decoder driver may have failed or the cable could have a bad connection.

I am having the very same problem. This is what I found from Apple Support page: It didn't work for me. I followed their instructions and the line is still there. If anyone finds another fix, Please post it A.S.A.P.
    Apple Studio Display 17: Removing Vertical Lines from Display
    Upon setting up my Apple Studio Display 17, you may notice a number of thin vertical lines.

The Diamondtron CRT used in the 17-inch Studio Display incorporates an aperture grid of very fine, vertical wires to enhance the sharpness of the image. Exposure to cold and or vibration can cause these fine wires to temporarily adhere to each other.

Note: Be careful not to confuse a vertical line with the horizontal stabilizing grid wires described in Article 11497 "Apple Color Monitors: Cause of Thin Horizontal Line(s)" . The horizontal wires are completely normal.

The vertical line anomaly is inherent to this type of display when exposed to lower temperatures and is not indicative of the need for a service call.

If your display is exhibiting visible thin vertical lines, you can most often break the adhesion between the grid wires by using the heel of your hand to moderately impact the side of your display under the Apple logo on the right, then left side. Using moderate force does not damage your display.

To avoid scratching or marring the external plastics, remove any jewelry or watches before you tap the display.

If the lines persist after a few attempts to break the adhesion of the wires, you should take the display to an Apple Authorized Service Provider for additional troubleshooting.

Is the line part of the background or wallpaper and is it always on top ? Try changing these two around in Display Properties.If this stripe is 'hiding' what should be displayed, then I would suspect a problem with the wiring that controls the screen. LCDs are easily damaged.