Thread: Problem playing games, screen freezes, advice to update BIOS

Problem playing games, screen freezes, advice to update BIOS

I have a Radeon HD4870 from Sapphire. I have problems when I play some games like Crysis, etc... the screen freezes after 5 minutes! I found a solution on the Internet, where a person had the same problem as me and he had found the solution to his problem. According to him it is the bios of the graphics card that was "bogus".

I went to the site of Sapphire and found a new bios which can correct my graphics card. It only remains for me to the flash and it is why I turn to you! Could you explain how to perform the operation?

How to Flash new BIOS

Flashing with the new bios

There are two ways to achieve this: flashing by Windows or DOS. In both cases, make sure your PC is stable because it may not only crash at the time of flashing but also it could corrupt the chip that stores the bios.

Flashing Windows

The flash on Windows is simple: open the software (ATI Winflash for example), open the bios and click flash / programmer. Just wait and reboot.
    Do not worry if the screen is freezing, this is normal. It takes a minute or two depending on the size of bios.

Flashing DOS

In the case of a flash in DOS, you need a bootable MS DOS, the flash utility and bios. Simply copy everything to the root.

DOS tips:
    - To determine the content of the medium (in this case, the floppy A, type the command A:\ dir. This may serve you if you do not remember the names of files.
    - Press the right arrow retype the previous command. It is very useful because often repeat the same operation.

Flashing Procedure

To run the software, simply type the name of the executable, eg A:\atiflash.exe. The application starts and displays a list of commands that takes into several pages. Browse these commands quickly as some that I will not, are very useful. You can view again followed by the implementation reviving. Press Enter until you find your good old command line.

It will require you to specify that you want to flash, specify with whom and what. There is a choice between the -p (Program) and -pa (All Program). I recommend using the first, even if you only have one graphics card plugged. It avoids many problems. So we must specify which device you want to flash. If you have a map, the ring 0 so it's easy if you have several, use the command-PCIe (PCI-or in the case of PCI) is A:\atiflash.exe -pcie.

Having identified your card, you must know the name of the bios. If you have not noted on paper, use the dir command that will display a list of files that contains the floppy.

Here is the command type: A:\atiflash.exe -p <number> <Name of bios>

And that's it. You've flashed your ATI graphics card.
    Note that we should not add *.bin or *.Roma at the end of the name of the bios.

Re: Problem playing games, screen freezes, advice to update BIOS

OK thank you!

I managed to flash the graphics card but this has not fixed my problem!

Have you overclocked your graphics card? It can be a problem of GPU temperature! Just check the IDLE temperature when not playing games such as Crysis. Is the heatpipe of GPU well-established?

The graphics card is not overclocked and temperatures are quite acceptable!
    Perhaps it comes from my PSU might not be powerful? I will BUY most powerful PSU very sooner.