Thread: Choppy video in Gaming

Choppy video in Gaming

I'm new here, and thanks for the site..found it on google.

I have a Dell XPS 400 and I reinstalled XP Home, bought two more gigs of ram
    and a new video card, the nvidia GT9500, and I still have choppy video.
    I am novice at computers ie: overclocking etc.
    I play Quake2 and sometimes the screen stalls for a split second, the players move in jerking type movements, I shoot and its silent or delayed.
    My ping is normally in the 50-60 range. I run netgraph 1 from the console, and altho Im not sure what Im looking at (lol) there are small green blips and occasionally a red spike, which Im told is packet loss.
    I have FIOS from Verizon.
    It seems the more players and more explosions, the more trouble I have

Thanks for any help
    Shelley

Re: Choppy video in Gaming

Have you tried updating to the latest driver from nVidia? Do you have another computer you can try the card in to try to replicate the problem? Is this the only game you have problems in? Is it only online that you have issues? If so try updating your chipset and network drivers as well. Can you try another game that doesn't run on the same engine?

Quote Originally Posted by bballmom View Post
    and a new video card, the nvidia GT9500, and I still have choppy video.
    Your graphic card is very good.

Do you use Everest at all? I recommend you download it, and look at the GPU temperature log and see how hot it is getting.

Also, try some other games and see if the same issues occur.

Ok, I suppose when you turn on your machine you have a few programs opened. Close all the program like you would before you play a game. Then go to Task Manager and see how many applications are running under your login name. Identify what each of them are, if you don't know what it is, close it. I ususally have only 4 to 6 applications running when I go into a game. See if that works.

There are quite a few different reasons why games run smoothly when you first bought the computer. It all depends on your habits of using it. How long ago did you get this computer?? Do you download a lot of free software?? Do you visit a lot of sites that are "poorly coded"?? Sites that ask you to install things before you can visit the site. All kinda things can let different computer creep in and bog down your computer.

Try to get driver updates from nvidia's website.

Also one thing that will decrease the choppyness is go to the Nvidia driver options and set the Mipmapping level down to 1.

You guys are awesome...thank you!!!
    I will get busy working on the different suggestions and then
    give it a try tonight when the servers are full.

Hi all..and again thanks. I downloaded Everest and will post the report. I checked the task manager and turned off a few. I have the updated drivers.
    So...i have no clue, unless you guys consider this too hot.

Sensor Properties:
    Sensor Type HDD
    GPU Sensor Type Driver (NV-DRV)

Temperatures:
    GPU 56 °C (133 °F)
    SAMSUNG HD160JJ/P 46 °C (115 °

Quote Originally Posted by bballmom View Post
    Sensor Properties:
    Sensor Type HDD
    GPU Sensor Type Driver (NV-DRV)

Temperatures:
    GPU 56 °C (133 °F)
    SAMSUNG HD160JJ/P 46 °C (115 °
    The temperatures looks proper enough. Maybe some other issues. You can verify the system requirements for this game. Here are the minimum system requirements for Quake 2, as recommend by id Software (the creators of Quake 2):

English Language version of Windows 95 or NT 4.0 with 100% compatible system
    Pentium 90mhz processor (130mhz recommend)
    16 megs RAM (24 recommend)
    100% Sound Blaster Compatible sound card
    Quad speed CD ROM
    25 - 400 MB hard disk space

Multiplayer Requirements for Quake 2

Multiplayer Requirements for Quake II

The fact that you can play Quake 2 on your PC does not guarantee that you can play it over the Internet. If you don’t meet all of the requirements listed below then it may be unlikely, or impossible, for you to play Quake 2 multiplayer.

Modem

The minimum speed recommend for playing Quake 2 over the Internet is a 28.8 kps. This is a very average modem speed nowadays. If you’ve got a 33.6, 56k, ISDN, or a cable modem all the better, but if all you have is a 28.8 then that will be enough.

Networks

What if you don’t access the Internet through a modem? I’m speaking to those people who get their Internet connections through a network at work or school perhaps. Instead of a modem you use a Ethernet card to connect to your network. As long as your connection is fast enough (we have T1 access at my college) you shouldn’t need to worry about speed; in fact you’ll probably be the envy of most modem players!

ISP

For those of use who don’t get net access through work or school there’s ISPs, which stands for Internet Service Provider. The only thing that need concern you about your ISP is its quality. Do you frequently have speed and connection problems when surfing the net? Those problems might also translate to trouble playing Quake 2 over the Internet.

Make sure you have a quality ISP. If local ISPs aren’t to your taste then there are several National ISPs that have dialups. Local ISPs may also be a good choice if you prefer more personal, homegrown service. You can find an ISP in your town by checking with The List.

Have you recently updated drivers for your card? Sometimes the new ones are not actually better - especially the beta versions. Also, try rebooting before you play and make sure no other programs are running. Download the latest version of DirectX too - I think it's version 7.0a.

My Dell is a dual core...its fast, no slowdown on the internet or running programs
    My ISP is DSL Verizon Fios.
    I went back to the original Q2 disc and opened it and installed the Version of DirectX that came with it. Thought that might be the problem. It wasn't
    Im running a benchmark test now...on the video card, and so far it has taken
    45 minutes and its still not done.

Heres a link if anyone else would like to use it

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/...ity-Test.shtml

thanks, all