Thread: Geforce 8500 GT , 1 Gb ram and Game Crashes

Geforce 8500 GT , 1 Gb ram and Game Crashes

I bought this card specifically for the dual monitor display . For most all other options I'd give this card a 10 out if 10 , but it's made more games obsolete than Vista itself. It's the same problem in the games. and I have no idea what's causing it other than it's happened since installing this card. The game starts to load, flashes whatever's on screen. puts the games icon down on the toolbar, and that's it. Oh yeah it hides the mouse. I hit CTRL-ALT-DEL and task manager pop ups , kill the game through process, and the mouse is back. And sometimes it just freezes everything requiring full power off by the machines off button. is there a cure for this problem ? I hate losing software with upgrades.specially when the software doesn't release updates for all the new hardware. I thought it was obsolete when I got it. But it had what this almost 2 year old machine could use. I have all the most current drivers for everything on my machine. pls help

Re: Geforce 8500 GT , 1 Gb ram and Game Crashes

You are using an extremely slow and cheap videocard that's comparable (barely) to a four generation old mid range card. The 8500GT has only 16 stream processors, a 450Mhz core, 400Mhz DDR2 memory (800 effective) and 1024Mb of that slow memory. In 3D Games, it performs about 30% slower than a 6600GT 128Mb. if you want you run Games like, like Nancy Drew and CSI, it should not be an issue however. You installed the latest Forceware drivers? Or did you allow Windows Update to install the "latest" drivers?

Speed wasn't an issue. The only games I had were these NancyDrew, and CSI games. The reason for the 8500 GT 1 Gb ram, was because this machine was 2 years old when I went after a video card. The newer ones were too exotic and didn't actually have the necessary stuff to fit this machine. And no one could answer what PCI-e2 was. Actually I think most of the problems started when I added the terabyte WD external drive. And the epinions and others for all the newer video cards were nothing good. It took weeks to match the card to this machine,and even longer to hunt this card down. When a generation in hardware terms is about 30 days, 4 generation doesn't really mean much.

Quote Originally Posted by Sloane View Post
    Speed wasn't an issue. The only games I had were these NancyDrew, and CSI games. The reason for the 8500 GT 1 Gb ram, was because this machine was 2 years old when I went after a video card. The newer ones were too exotic and didn't actually have the necessary stuff to fit this machine. And no one could answer what PCI-e2 was. Actually I think most of the problems started when I added the terabyte WD external drive. And the epinions and others for all the newer video cards were nothing good. It took weeks to match the card to this machine,and even longer to hunt this card down. When a generation in hardware terms is about 30 days, 4 generation doesn't really mean much.
    You aren't very clearly describing the problem in this post either.The chances of your problem (whatever it may be) having anything at all to do with a new Western Digital Drive are very close if not identical to zero. Of all your system components the most likely suspect is the most uncommon component, and that's the Wacom, and its drivers. As far as matching your new display adapter to your computer, that should have taken about 10 minutes. And why should you care about PCIe 2? You obviously have a PCIe slot on your motherboard, and PCIe 2 display adapters are backwards compatible with PCIe and so a non issue. As for lack of clarity, I'll just mention you listed a partial identification of a relatively specialized component with no clues of what it was.You are the one sitting in front of your computer.For anyone else to provide specific help you must first clearly explain what you see, how that causes a problem, and what you have tried to correct the problem.Without details it is impossible to diagnose. That makes it tough because you don't recognize which details are relevant, and THAT is why you need help. Just like most everyone else who posts a problem here. Also your newsreader is a bit mucked up, and SOME kind of name or handle would give those who reply a much better way to address you.