Thread: How to Audit Predecessor and Successor Relationships in Project Plan?

How to Audit Predecessor and Successor Relationships in Project Plan?

I have got 300 line project plan that I have spent manually adjusting and checking predecessor relationships. I know how to use the Excel "AUDIT" functions that allow me to quickly find where a cell has been used or which other cells use the current cell. This function would be a very handy way to validate a project plan. I manually scroll up and down, also expanding and contracting summary tasks by looking at task numbers to validate 5 predecessors for me is both cumbersome and very error prone. I want to select a task and click 'show predecessor' and have all direct predecessors highlighted or selected or put into a text file for a report. I am using Project 2003 and any help would be appreciated.

Re: How to Audit Predecessor and Successor Relationships in Project Plan?

Habe you tried using a split screen view by going into the Window > Split and showing the relationshop diagram in the lower pane. It will show you graphically the predecessors and successors of the task choosen in the top pane. Also, in the split screen view, display the Task Form, and format the task form to show Predecessor and Successors. That view is not a graphic view but it will allow you to change the predecessor/successors as well as modify the link type and add lag or lead.

RE: How to Audit Predecessor and Successor Relationships in Project Pl

You can try to use PERT CHART EXPERT that is an application that allows you to quickly create PERT charts. They represent the relationship between project tasks. The software can create diagrams of existing projects or create their own projects. The diagrams can be saved in several formats such as JPEG, PNG or TIFF for example. You can download the same by searching it on the net.

Re: How to Audit Predecessor and Successor Relationships in Project Plan?

You can try to make a new Table called "BB Predecessors and Successors" and have it show just the Task Name, Predecessors and Successors. It is usually similar to having the screen split but also helps by removing the duration and dates clutter. After that make a filter which looks for Tasks with no Predecessors, Tasks with no Successors and also filter that finds any given Predecessor or Successor.