Thread: how to create a gantt chart from a pert chart ?

how to create a gantt chart from a pert chart ?

I have inherited a large network chart from my college and i want to know if i can convert it in to gantt chart without much issues. Help regrading this will be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Re: how to create a gantt chart from a pert chart ?

Hey, in Project View you can check out Network diagram and build your chart. You will have to sort your tasks logically and create summary tasks. Just make sure that the Constraints are the only tasks driven by dates and are explained as well. At the end check and make sure that the large amounts of Total Slack are not missing any links. If you follow these things then you can create a good working Gantt chart!, hope that helps.

can you help me..how to convert gantt chart to pert chart using ms project...help me pls thanks

Malyn,
    If you have the schedule already in Project, go to View and select Network Diagram. Project will have it already in a default format. If you want to change the layout, you can, but it is very tedious. I've done it for many schedules.
    Right click in the network diagram (but not on a box) and select Layout from the drop down menu. In the Layout Mode section at the top, select Allow Manual Box Positioning. Then you can drag the boxes around and position them in the groupings you want. Beware! They all wind up in a pile in the top left corner. It looks like one task until you separate them all.
    We do this all the time to see how different teams interact with each other. It also helps to see where chains of tasks end without contributing tot he end task. Just another way of looking at things helps sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Malyn View Post
    can you help me..how to convert gantt chart to pert chart using ms project...help me pls thanks
    There was a user who was able to convert the Gantt chart that I had previously made into a Pert chart. Below I will write the details on how did he achieve it:

This was done by viewing the project in a different format. I changed the view from 'Gantt Chart' to 'Network Diagram'. This allowed me to view the critical path more easily as it was in red. This is all I had to do to convert it. I then went to 'Zoom' via the 'View' option. I selected 'Entire Project' and this allowed to me view the whole Pert chart without having to scroll too much. I then printed it off in this format whilst viewing the entire project.
    I used my own initiative because when I didn't know why some of the tasks were in red I read about it in Microsoft Help.

mbbackus,..thank you so much for your help..