Thread: Excel task list by resource

Excel task list by resource

This is Windows XP SP3 system running with Microsoft Project 2003. I have created a weekly task lists each project resource containing list of tasks and task information. What I wanted to know is how I can create separate Excel files for each resource. Can anybody please tell me any easiest way of doing the same?

RE: Excel task list by resource

Yes Bob, you can do this with an easy way. Just follow the below provided steps:

1. Start by going to Project > Filtered for > More resources > New and create Filter for every Resources.
    2. Now select a name for the resource and define for what you want to filter.
    3. Once you are ready with this first Filter, you can just copy paste and rename the filter for others.
    4. After creating filters for all resources you just need to build a map for each resource to save in html.
    5. Now click File from the Menu, Click Save As, select file type as ‘webpage’ and give it a name.
    6. As you will go following the onscreen instructions, you will come to a page that asks for a filter apply resource name filter. Here save the Map.

RE: Excel task list by resource

Thanks for such a simple procedure LeSueur. I’ll surely give it a try later today but I meanwhile I was thinking to create a VBA process for doing this job. Do you think VBA process will be able to do this automatically for each resource in the project?

Re: Excel task list by resource

Hello, in response to this inquiry I also have a question with regards to showing reports by resource by task. I have a large project with many summary tasks which are essentially different projects. The ultimate goal of the project is to sync this with Sharepoint so individuals can see their assigned tasks for the week, enter how many hours they spent on each task and have that sync back to Project. I have roughly 100 different subprojects (but they're actually listed as summary tasks) and around 40 different resources. Managing this has been a nightmare and I need some help. There are many resources which are overallocated but since there are so many projects it makes it difficult to see why they are overallocated and determine a solution of how to fix this. I was hoping to get a report similar to the resource usage reports but I need this to show the summary task as well.

For example I have 3 Summary tasks that are not linked to each other and are essentially different projects.

House 1
    Mow grass - John
    Paint siding - Dave
    Finish kitchen - Pat

House 2
    Mow grass - Dave
    Paint siding - Pat
    Remove tree - Greg
    Finish kitchen - Dave

House 3
    Mow grass - Dave
    Remove siding - Pat
    Paint siding - Greg
    Finish kitchen - Greg

I want to show the a report showing the resource, the project and then the subtask. Currently I can only see the resource and the subtask and I don't which project this subtask is for. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks,
    Patrick