Thread: Converting work days to calendar days

I need some help here to work with Microsoft Project 2007 files. I had created the file with work days and now I am not able to get calendar days from it. I want to convert them to calender days but I am not able to find out information on the process of doing it. I had tried to work with customize option where you can modify the custom duration field which has the formula, but still I am not getting a optimum output. I am expecting to get more better answer here.

I have a similar problems, however the issue is different.

I have already entered all the tasks and their durations in the duration field. By default, Project used the Standard calendar (5 work days) and all the durations are calculated in work days. So for example, if I have a 6 day task it will be 8 calendar days. Now I want to convert these durations in calendar days but without changing the numbers of the durations and only reschedule them. So for example, if the 6 day task previously had been starting on 04.01.2010 and ended on the 11.01., now I want it to end on 09.01. (Saturday). I tried this by creating a new calendar with a 7 day work week. Is this the right way?

Yes, this helped. I created a new base calendar with 7 work days. However, since the dates of all tasks must be calculated based on the already entered durations, I applied the new base calendar to the whole project.

I am attempting to use the DateDiff Function to do this. I figured-out how to enter the start and finish dates. I'm not so sure what it is asking for with the interval, firstdayofweek, and firstweekofyear.

DateDiff( interval, date1, date2, firstdayofweek, firstweekofyear )

Thank you Andrew. That doesn't completely answer my question about how to complete the DateDiff fields (interval, date1, date2, firstdayofweek, firstweekofyear)

Basically I have a schedule developed using a five day work week, but the client has requirements for meeting calendar durations. I just want to show the calendar durations for each task.

Thank you everyone. I was able to get the calendar durations shown on my project. I appreciate all your help.

Re: Converting work days to calendar days

Hi everybody.
    I had the same issue than FLCivilPE, and the Howard and Lavinsky solution was perfect to me.
    Thanks to everybody!!

Hello,

I am putting together an integrated project plan amongst 3 teams. 2 of the teams are working standard business hours while the other team is working 24/7. Is it possible for me to track both calendar days and business days in 1 project plan?

If so please advise how to.

Thanks,
    Adam

Entering work or duration is straightforward. Task work or duration can be entered directly in the Work or Duration field in any table or dialog box that displays those fields. It's important to understand that work and duration are measured in working days. For example, by default, 1 day = 8 hours, 5 days = 1 week, 20 days = 1 month. This means that if you type 30 days in the Duration field, it is calculated as 6 weeks rather than a month. So make the correct conversions when entering values.

Another option...

Do a Find and Replace within your Duration column, replacing "Days" with "eDays". (eDays are elapsed days.) This will accelerate your tasks and include the weekends.

I presume this negates any holidays or custom calendars...but it seems to be working for me.

I would like to change my schedule from working days (week days) to calendar days, however, I don't think I am advanced enough with this program to perform the tasks listed above. Is there any simple way to change the schedule to calendar days? How do you perfrom a Find and Replace?

Quote Originally Posted by TMI Contractors View Post
    I would like to change my schedule from working days (week days) to calendar days, however, I don't think I am advanced enough with this program to perform the tasks listed above. Is there any simple way to change the schedule to calendar days? How do you perfrom a Find and Replace?
    I have the same problem. I use calendar days on my schedules, and not working days - I have now been struggling for days trying to figure it out because I know I have seen it done before.
    I have just come accross the "elapsed days" function. Instead of typing in 20 days for a work month, type in 30ed which will calculate the time as elapsed days instead of work days. The start and end dates for this task will then be 1 month apart instead of 1.5 months when 30d is typed in.

I'd approach edays with caution. An elapsed "day" to Project is 24 hours and if you assign a resource to a 3 eday task, you are scheduling them for 72 hours of work.

If your resources truly work 7 days a week -- a better choice is to modify the project calendar and make every Saturday and Sunday a working day.

Then you can enter 30 days and it will count 30 calendar days.

Julie

Thank you Julie,
    I am not planning on doing any resources on this type of schedule.
    I have tried to make Saturday and Sunday work days, but it still did not work. There must be something else that I had missed that needs to be adjusted also.

What version of Project are you using? Let me know and I'll give you step by step directions to change the working days to include Saturday and Sunday.

Or, on the other hand, if you are not using resources (and won't be later) than using elapsed days might work just fine.

Julie

Quote Originally Posted by JulieS View Post
    What version of Project are you using? Let me know and I'll give you step by step directions to change the working days to include Saturday and Sunday.

Or, on the other hand, if you are not using resources (and won't be later) than using elapsed days might work just fine.

Julie
    Thread revival!
    I am back to my original problem I have been using edays, but I know it is not the right way to do it. How do I create a calendar with 7 work days/week? I am using MS Project 2007.

Thanks