Thread: i want to generate S-curve

i want to generate S-curve

This is Project 2003 and am stuck somewhere in between. I want to generate a S-curve but not getting how can I d o the same. I request you guys to please let me know the command for the same.

Thank you in advance.

I don’t think MS Project 2003 can generate S-Curves natively. As per your post, assuming you need to generate S-curves for earned value information, you simply need to export the earned value data to Excel using Analyze Timescaled Data in Excel button on the Analysis toolbar. In excel you can display the task usage view and show the Analysis toolbar. Once done click the Analyze Timescaled Data button and when the wizard runs select the earned value information. Hope this helps.

RE: i want to generate S-curve

You could also export (or copy/paste) data to Excel and do some simple calculations. Not very elegant, but it's doable.

Re: i want to generate S-curve

Quote Originally Posted by Bob C. View Post
    You could also export (or copy/paste) data to Excel and do some simple
    calculations. Not very elegant, but it's doable.
    i want to understand how to use ms project to generate an S-curve

See if you have basic idea about the MSP 2003 then you won’t have any problem in understanding the process of it, the s-curve is actually generated from the value that is earned by the value analysis and in order to perform the earned value method, just follow the below steps:
    • First just make sure that you are setting the tasks, start date, finish date, cost, resources etc and you are prepared for setting the baseline, so when you are ready with the same then just go in to View > Table > More Tables… > Earned Value, which will be having tasks, BCWS, BCWP, ACWP, SV, CV, etc, so just add the columns that you require
    • After that Go to Project > Project Information and then just change the status to finish date so that you can see all the BCWS after that just click on OK
    • After that just Click the “Analyze Timescaled Data in Excel” button or you can just click anywhere in case you are not able to get the button and then click on “Analysis” and also make sure that you are selecting the “Entire project” and then click on next
    • When you are done with the above steps then just select BCWS, BCWP, and ACWP and after that just click on next again and then enter the start and the finish date and respected time as well, after that click on next and then click in yes and then just import the graph to Excel and the click on “Export Data” and you are done.
    Hope that helps!!

Quote Originally Posted by kanayo View Post
    You do not mention what version of MS Project. If you are using Project 2007 or 2010, explore some of the visual reports. You also do not note what data you want to chart on the S curve. As Shurod directs, the classic is S-curves for Earned value data.

A bit more information from you would be helpful.