Thread: Requirements for Microsoft Project

Requirements for Microsoft Project

Hello
    I'm actually working on several personal projects.
    That means basically a lot of projects (over 50) and only 2 resources (customers and me).
    So I strongly need a sotware for planning, executing and controlling each one of them and globally, because office and google apps aren't providing me enough control over tasks.
    These are the requirements:

1.- Sequence of tasks for every projects are basically the same. Some exceptions have particularities. I know every task duration and dependencies. I need a tool for programming automatically start and completion date of each task of a new project taking into consideration the time I have engaged in the other preexistent projects.
    After programming, I'd like to have the chance of make some manual corrections.

2.- When a task is not performed on time, the estimated date of completion for this task and the following should follow the same criteria as for the previous point.
    I mean, if I can't complete task today, the software must Not estimate I'll do that work tomorrow and finish it if I have that day engaged in other projects. It should estimate it considering the next free time on my calendar.

3.- If possible, I would like that this schedule was synchronized or at least visible in "google calendar".

Can these requirements be met for Microsoft Project?

Let me know your advanced user opinion.

Thanks.
    Paul.

Re: Requirements for Microsoft Project

Hello Paul:

To answer your direct questions:
    1.- Sequence of tasks for every projects are basically the same. Some exceptions have particularities. I know every task duration and dependencies.
    Yes. By creating templates in Project you can quickly create a new project with the list of common tasks, relationships between tasks. The template file is the starting point and can be edited as needed.

I need a tool for programming automatically start and completion date of each task of a new project taking into consideration the time I have engaged in the other preexistent projects.
    This can be accomplished in Project through the use of Resource Leveling. You task would need to be assigned to resources (you) and then the project would have to be leveled based upon work in other projects. This would likely be best accomplished through either Project Server or more cost effectively, through the use of Resource Pool files and other project files connected to the pool.

The process is not "automatic" or shouldn't be -- but it can be accomplished fairly easily.

After programming, I'd like to have the chance of make some manual corrections.
    Yes. You may alter anything you'd like in Project.

2.- When a task is not performed on time, the estimated date of completion for this task and the following should follow the same criteria as for the previous point.
    I mean, if I can't complete task today, the software must Not estimate I'll do that work tomorrow and finish it if I have that day engaged in other projects. It should estimate it considering the next free time on my calendar.
    Again, resource leveling will alter the schedule of tasks based upon assignments to other tasks. Each resource also has a calendar where non-working time may be recorded. Project automatically schedules (no need for leveling) tasks only during working time.

3.- If possible, I would like that this schedule was synchronized or at least visible in "google calendar".
    Nope. Sorry. Not out of the box. It may be possible to export Project data out but it would require manual intervention.

All this being said, Project is a significantly different product than any other Microsoft Office product. It has a fairly steep learning curve and I would encourage you to seek out a good hands-on 2-3 day class in Project before you get too far down the path.

You may download a trial (60-day) version from Microsoft's website to start experimenting.

I hope this helps.

Julie