Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Office Help > Microsoft Project
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

M1 vs Calendar

Microsoft Project

Old 20-04-2012

M1 vs Calendar

Dear all,

I am blocked with the dates.

I have a project with a deadline for M36. and one of the activities runs from the begining to the end of the project (36 months) and it has a fixed starting date.
The duration that I type for the activity was "36 month" (I type this in the duration field).
I establish the starting date and from the "format/ time scale" I define the M1, M2 date format.
But then when looking to the estimate end of the project it does not finish at M36 but at M34.
I did not add resources to the activity.
What am I doing wrong?

regards
P

Old 20-04-2012

Re: M1 vs Calendar

Hello,

The default definition of a month in Project is 20 working days as defined in the calendar. Many months have more than 20 working days -- so over a 3 year project that is likely where you are seeing the discrepancy.

You'll need to increase the duration of the task to account for the differences.
Old 23-04-2012

Hi there,

is there a way to configure the calendar? in a way that each month would have the real number of working days.
for example importing the calendar from outlook? or any other solution... even editing each month manually by adding the correct number of working days.

regards
P
Old 23-04-2012

No, sorry. The calendar is what defines working time. You could make every day in the calendar working to count calendar days or use elapsed duration, but other than those options -- no.

Julie
Old 24-04-2012

I made an average of working days of 21 (which helped).
however how can I do what you wrote? make the working calendar to count the calendar days?
P
Old 24-04-2012

If you are using Project 2010 - Project tab, Change Working Time.

If you are using Project 2007 or 2003 - Tools, Change Working time.

You'll need to make Saturdays and Sundays working days.

Julie

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Office Help > Microsoft Project
Tags: ,