Thread: MS Project Percent Complete Question

MS Project Percent Complete Question

All,

I have a MS Project 2007 question. I’m trying to build a project plan that will contain almost identical sections to represent the same work being conducted by different groups for their applications. I want to segregate the plans on the team level, but I want to report back the matching tasks from each team to a summary view that would report the overall status of those tasks across all the teams doing work on the task. I’ll try to outline what I’m trying to do below using bullets.

• Project
      • Overall Summary of Themes
        • Theme 1 - % Complete (This should represent the aggregate percent complete of the two Theme 1 entries below.)
        • Theme 2 - % Complete
      • Themes Detail
        • Team 1
          • Theme 1 - % Complete
          • Theme 2 - % Complete
        • Team 2
          • Theme 1 - % Complete
          • Theme 2 - % Complete

Since the Themes Detail group is not a sub group of the Overall Summary of Themes group, the percent complete does not flow up. Is there a way to enter a task and have its percent complete be calculated based on the percent complete listed for tasks in unconnected groups? If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks

Re: MS Project Percent Complete Question

I'm afraid not out of the box. It would require code to refer to other tasks and calculate the value.

As a suggestion, Project can fairly easily give you a list of task being performed by a person or a resource group, as well as group tasks by resources.

Is it possible instead of organization your project by who is doing the work to organize it by deliverable? That re-design would give you what you are looking for as well as make it a bit easier to review the flow and inter-relationships between tasks.

Julie