Thread: Resources cant start until milestone complete

Resources cant start until milestone complete

Hi there

I am stuck on a very basic question. I have a construction project with many different dependencies on resources.

As part of the schedule, each person has to undergo a lot of training - the time of which must be scheduled in the project. So we have something like

So before any resource is able to be scheduled in to work on a task - they must have completed this training (and its different for each task)

So 6 guys working on 20 mining sites.
    To work on any mining site, they must have undergone a 10 day generic training package.
    To work on a single site, they must have completed a range of 6 days courses for that particular site.
    To complete a risk assessment on a mine, they must have blood tests plus the above training.
    To complete the works, the risk assessment must have been done (by any staff) and the resource for the works must have completed the relevant training courses.

I am really not sure how I can do this - I can set all the tasks up but when I try to allocate only properly trained people to the correct tasks, I fall down. And of course the training has to be part of the schedule as the work on any tasks cant start until that happens.

Can anyone help on how i set up constraints on resource/specific task?

The training is 10 days for generic (all resources will do at different times).
    The task training is around 6 days.
    Lots of men work on the different tasks and I need to allocate the correct resources to the right tasks or book them on correct training.

This is simplistic, it gets very complicated with the number of different training/work allowed permutations

if anyone could help I would really appreciate it!

Re: Resources cant start until milestone complete

I'm afraid there is no automatic method in Project of doing what you need - Project doesn't have that level of resource selection.

I certainly understand the requirement to get resources trained, but I'm not sure I'd track resource training in the same project file as the mining work. I wouldn't add the resource's to the mining project until they have done the required entry training. If you must add them, consider putting a starting date in the Resource Availability section of the Resource Information dialog box. So, if assign the resource before his/her availability -- they will be automatically marked as overallocated.

You could use some of the Flag fields (Flag1, Flag2) in the resource sheet to note whether resources have taken the different training. Then using Autofilters you can filter the list of resource to see all resources who have taken the basic training or basic AND site specific.

I hope this helps.

Julie