Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Office Help > Microsoft Project
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Changing task duration in the middle of project

Microsoft Project

Old 30-12-2011

Changing task duration in the middle of project

Hi,

I am constantly having troubles with the following issue:

I use projects to plan tasks and estimate duration for tasks for the use of building machines in our factory.

I start the project off by working towards my finish date as our customers expect the product by a due date.

I then set my baseline.

I'm having problems when I run overdue, the finish date won't update.
When I run overdue, I try to change the duration of the said task that is taking more time than planned.

And I get an error because of the predecessors.

I want to find a way so that if a task is scheduled to take 3 days but due to problems it ends up taking 5 days, I want all future tasks that are linked to this and the finish date to be pushed forward by these extra 2 days.

I can send you a copy of an example projects file I already have if need be.

Can anyone help me?

Regards,

Chris

Old 30-12-2011

Re: Changing task duration in the middle of project

Hi Chris,

If you are using Predecessors and Successors without any constraints, the dates should move. I would also suggest updating the Remaining Duration (not just duration) on in-progress tasks.

Check the following:

1. No constraints on tasks other than ASAP
2. Calculation is automatic
3. No Actual start on successor tasks that have not really been started. If the tasks have been started, then an Actual Start will not update. Check that "Split in Progress Tasks" is enable (File> Options, Schedule).

If you'd like, zip and post a copy of the file here and I'll take a look.

Julie

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Office Help > Microsoft Project
Tags: , ,