Thread: MS Project Calendar days

MS Project Calendar days

Hi,

I have defined activities in an MSP2007 schedule that have a defined delta between them in calendar days eg Activity B must occur 10 calendar days after Activity A. Whilst I realise that I can create a lag based on elapsed time, I also need the result to take into account non-work days for the resulting start date ie if 10 calendar days lag from A to B puts B start on a Saturday or Sunday, then move start date of B to the next working day. Is there a simple way to do this please?

Re: MS Project Calendar days

MSPLearnerOz,

If you enter a "10 d" lag it will take into account the working calendar for the project. As long as Saturday and Sunday are non-working days in either the project calendar or the resource's calendar, Task B will be scheduled to start on the next working day after the 10 working day lag.

Julie

Thanks Julie. I probably didn't explain my problem well. I understand that you can define either work days lag (eg 10d) as you said, or elapsed time (10ed) but what I am trying to do is a hybrid of these. The lag that I need to define is based on calendar days (Activity B must occur 10 calendar days after Activity A) BUT I also need to then timeshift to next working day if it falls on a non-work day.

Thanks

Sorry, I'm still not following you. Tasks may only be scheduled during working time unless you have the task set as elapsed duration.

So the "timeshift" should be occurring automatically. Can you give a concrete example of where this is not occurring? What calendar are you using for the project calendar, standard?

Hi Julie,

As an example: An activity (Activity A) is required to be undertaken within 10 calendar days of the start of the project (Milestone 1). If the result of <Milestone 1 Date> FS+10ed falls on a non-work day I would like project to timeshift to next work day. FS+10d is not an option as the required delta between Milestone 1 and Activity A is in calendar days.

I think that you have answered my question, ie it can't be done.

I was hoping that someone might have an algorithm written to do it or some clever trick.

Thanks anyway

Unless there is something else going on, Activity A should be scheduled for a working day.

To take your example:
    I have milestone 1 scheduled for Sunday 18 Sept.
    I have Activity A scheduled in a F to S with 6ed of lag.

Sunday + 6 calendar days = Saturday.
    However, because Activity A has duration of greater than zero and is schedule on a calendar which does not have Saturday or Sunday as working days, Activity A is scheduled for Monday.

No algorithm needed -- it should happen automatically.