Thread: Transferring field info from 'Gantt Chart' view to 'Resource Usage' view

Transferring field info from 'Gantt Chart' view to 'Resource Usage' view

I am using Project 2007.

I am trying to show information from a text field in the 'Resource Usage' view. However, I need to enter that text information in the 'Gantt Chart' view.

I've used the 'Text1' field to enter the text in the 'Gantt Chart' view, but that is of course impossible to show in the 'Resource Usage' view (since the former is a task view and the later is a resource view, meaning the 'Text1' fields are completely different and non-transferable between the 2).

I've tried using the VBA macro, but don't really know what they're talking about or how to access the 'assignment Text fields'.

Bottom line is that I need to see text info entered in a field on the 'Gantt Chart' show up in the 'Resource Usage'. Can anyone help with this?? Much thanks!!

Re: Transferring field info from 'Gantt Chart' view to 'Resource Usage' view

I think that the resource usage has resource at level 1, assignments at level 2, and so the filtering/sorting can be done only on the resource-related or assignment-related fields. Priority is a field that is task-related, so you cannot use the Project | Sort (or) Project | Filter by option on task's priority field. You can split the view to have Gantt Chart at the bottom and insert the column "Priority". Select the tasks assigned a resource in Gantt chart view, and choose Project | Sort | By Priority option.

The macro posted on the Project MVP site is the best option to get this to work. I'm guessing you've read the FAQ about the difference between task data, resource data, and assignment data. What you want to do is to take Task Data (entered on the Gantt chart view) and have it appear on assignment lines -- indented task name on the Resource Usage view. There are no fields that make that leap -- so short of the VBA code -- it's going to be manual.

I don't know what you've tried when you say "I've tried using the VBA macro." What went wrong and we'll try to help.

Thx for helping. I'm new to macros (but not to Project 2007) but I seem to have enabled macros and then successfully created a macro by copying the code from mvps.org (specifically the code titled "The following macro will transfer data from a Task Text field into both assignment Text fields, thus making it visible in both Usage Views:".

I have populated the 'text1' field in the Gantt Chart view, and shown the 'text1' field in 'Resource Usage' view. I then ran the macro. My expectation was that all the entries from the Gantt 'text1' cells would be copied to, and appear in, the Resource Usage 'text1' cells, next to the appropriate task. However the Resource Usage 'text1' field remains completely blank after running the macro. I don't receive any errors running the macro so I'm not sure why it's not working as expected (though obviously it could be my expectations that are wrong and not the code).

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated. Thx!!

I just ran the code on a sample project and it seems to work fine. When you copied and pasted the code -- did you place it in a new module in "This Project"?

What are you macro security settings? If you run the code from the VB Editor are you seeing any errors in the code window?

If you add the Text1 field to the Task Usage view -- is there data?

Thanks. Knowing that it worked in your sample project, I just tried everything I could think of -- finally recording a blank macro first and then editing that code, rather than try to create a new macro from scratch in the VBE. It works now -- exactly what I need. Thanks again!

You're welcome Mike. I don't have any idea why a copy/paste wouldn't work -- but I'm glad you have it sorted now.