Thread: Multiple milestones in same horizontal line on Gantt chart

Multiple milestones in same horizontal line on Gantt chart

Can anyone tell me whether is it possible to put more than one milestone on the same horizontal line on the Gantt chart?
    One of my customers wants all SETR milestones at the top of the schedule, but she wants to save space, I guess, and have them like a reoccuring task looks like. They aren't reoccuring, though, and I intend to make them hammocks from the actual tasks in the body of the schedule. Unless someone has a better way to do it.
    Thanks!

Re: Multiple milestones in same horizontal line on Gantt chart

Not directly no. You could still create the summary task and the milestones. The select all milestones and choose Project > Task Information. Select "Roll up Gantt bar to summary". Then hide the Summary task bar (also in Task Information) and collapse the summary tasks to show each milestone on the same line.

I hope this helps.

Thanks! I knew you would have the answer.
    I had thought of that, but the customer wants them all on one line because the schedule is already fairly large. But if that is the only way to do it ... At least I can close the section down and no one has to see all the tasks individually.
    Thanks again!

Why can't it be simple!!!
    I did that and it worked perfectly - for the first summary task and subtasks.
    But for the second, the names of the milestones are automatically appearing above the diamonds even though the format box shows nothing should be there. The customer wants them to the right of the diamond.
    Do you know why this is happening?
    The only difference between the one working correctly and the other is that the correct one has tasks in the future. The one not working correctly has completed milestones under it. Would that matter?

Refresh my memory, what release of Project are you using?

Is it possible that some milestones have been formatted through Format > Bar and others through Format > Bar Styles?

When you say "the format box shows nothing" which -- Format > Bar or Format > Bar Styles?

When you create the rolled up milestone, the Format > Bar Styles command has an entry for the rolled up milestone. What are the settings there?

I don't have Project 2007 available right now, but I believe there is a "Reset" button in the Format > Bar command. Try selecting all milestones (filter for them) -- choose Format > Bar and click Reset. Now the Format > Bar Styles command settings should apply.

I have 2007. I was looking at the Format Bar. Didn't know I could add text with the Format Bar Styles, even though it's right there in front of me!

After asking the question, I decided to fiddle around with it.
    Instead of putting them in as completed tasks, I hammocked them. Then I was able to change the location of the text. If I then go back and make it 100%, the text stays where it belongs. So problem solved, for now.

I will keep the advice, though, because I'm sure at some point I will need to reset. I get so many questions from customers that I never thought to ask. It's funny how everyone looks at things diferently!

Thanks again!

Great. I'm glad you were able to work out what you need. You're most welcome for the assistance and thanks for the feedback.