Thread: Reschedule task if its predecessor ends early?

Reschedule task if its predecessor ends early?

When updating tasks in Microsoft Project 2007, how can I configure it so that if a predecessor is completed early the task that follows it is rescheduled?

In the past if I complete a task before its due date I usually just click the "100% Complete" button on the tracking toolbar. In order to have successors and the tracking gantt update I have been changing the finish date to be the current day's date— is this the best method?

Thanks,

David

Re: Reschedule task if its predecessor ends early?

To have Project 2007 reschedule incomplete work, follow these steps:

1. Select a task to update in the Gantt Chart.
    2. Choose Tools, choose Tracking, and choose Update Project.
    3. In the Update Project dialog box, select the Reschedule Uncompleted Work To Start After option and then select a date from the drop-down list. See the above figure.
    4. Click OK.

Thanks, but I want the incomplete work to be rescheduled to an earlier date.

For instance, say that Task 1 is a predecessor of Task 2.

If Task 1 was originally scheduled to run from 1/1/10 to 2/1/10 but instead it finished on 1/15/10, I'd like Task 2 to now start on 1/15/10.

If I select Task 1 and click "100% Complete" on 1/15/10, MS Project just fills the gantt bar to 2/1/10. I'd rather have it fill the gantt bar to 1/15/10 and move the start date of Task 2 to 1/15/10.

Maybe changing the finish date of Task 1 to 1/15/10 is the best way to do what I'm trying to do?

Perhaps I can write a macro to set a task to 100% completion, change the finish date to today's date if it is later than today, and configure a button to run it. Anyone see a problem with using that method to do what I'm trying to do?

In the Tracking Table you will see that the first column is the Actual Start and the next column is the Actual Finish.
    This is where you are supposed to put the Actual Start the Actual Finish (surprise). If you do this, then the successor will get scheduled to start earlier.

Sorry to bump this post, but I am having a similar issue in Project 2010 and I'm not sure if this is confirmed resolved anyway.

Tasks #22 has completed its two days work early. However, Task #23 does not move forward to make good of the two days we have made up.

I have tried following the advise above, but no use. All tasks are auto scheduled and have no manual constraints or noticeable resource dependencies above or below...

Cheers in advance
    Steve

Does task 23 have an Actual Start date? If so, remove it and the task should be rescheduled. I'm guessing you have a predecessor/successor relationship set between Task 22 & 23?

Is there a constraint (Start no Earlier Than) on task 23? Is the task manually or automatically scheduled?

Julie

Julie - thanks for the prompt response.

Task 23's start date is set automatically (as are all dates). Even if I delete it, it gets rescheduled the same.

Yes, there is a predecessor/successor relationship set between Task 22 & 23.

There are no constraints set on the tasks in question, only some deadlines which are currently on target to be met.

I was expecting that #23 would automatically schedule itself to start 2 days earlier, seeing as its only dependancy is #22 which has completed 2 days earlier.

I have considered holidays, scheduled working time etc and none of this impacts. Also, both tasks are assigned the separate resources.

EDIT - altered the very last sentence = both are assigned separate resources!
    Last edited by steve1401; 09-05-2012 at 06:22 PM.

If you display the Tracking table, is there an Actual Start date for Task 23? What is the actual finish date for task 22?

Is there any leveling delay added to task 23?

Do you mean the tracking Gantt? (using 2010)

I have removed the dependencies between 22 & 23 (and 24), and this has allowed me to drag 23 back, allowing all following tasks to reschedule as I would expect.

It is funny that I could drag the Gantt slider back, but not make a difference by deleting or re-assigning the date using the drop down.

There are no conflicts showing and everything is now fine, however, whether or not I have done things as I should have is questionable!

No, sorry, I meant applying the Tracking table to the left side of any Gantt view. Apply any Gantt view (tracking or regular). Place your mouse in the upper left corner of the table above the Task IDs and right click. Select Tracking from the shortcut menu.

Dragging the task bars around creates constraints on the tasks -- not recommended. Putting dates in also creates constraints. Put the dependency back on task 23 & 23. Then, double click on Task 23 to show the Task Information dialog. click the Advanced tab and set the constraint back to ASAP.

Ahhh - thanks for clarifying the tracking. It exposes other very useful views too.

I am on a bit of a self teach learning curve here, I'll pick it all up pretty fast, but want to get into good practices not bad.

I believe all is sorted now, so thank you.

You're welcome Steve. Feel free to post other questions as needed.

Julie