Thread: Earned value over time report

Earned value over time report

I have a resourced and costed schedule for a number of projects, which has been baselined. Costs are allocated to tasks. The budget cost report works well in showing the profile of costs over the project. I have been updating % complete against activities and this is calculating BCWP (earned value) on the schedule. However, I am trying to run a report showing the earned value over time, but this is coming up with zeros. Any idea why?

Re: Earned value over time report

What version of Project are you using? What service pack? Do you have resources assigned or only costs?

I am using MS Project 2007, Service Pack 1 as well.

Costs are assigned to tasks rather than via resources. Resources are also assigned, so if you go into the Resoucess tab of Task Information there is a resourse assigned at 100% but without a cost. So both resouces and costs are assigned, but the cost is assigned to the task rather than through the resources tab. Make sense?

A couple of things:

Project 2007 is up to SP-3, I strongly suggest you install the latest service pack.

The Earned Value over time report relies upon the assignment cube for data. Without costed work resources assigned, there are no costs on assignments, so the report won't work.

I hope this helps.

Many thanks Julie - that's good to know that it's not working for a reason. Interestingly though, earned value calculations are still being made based on the task costs when I open the BCWP, BCWS, SV columns. When you change the status date, it updates the BCWS field showing the earned value scheduled to a point in time. So you can manually go back month by month changing the schedule date to see BCWP. If it's making the calculation on schedule loaded planned costs, it's a bit strange that it won't pull that into a report? Is there any way of changing the assignment cube? I came across the following, but looks pretty challenging:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...ice.11%29.aspx

Any ideas for workarounds, or other thoughts?

Yes, the earned value data does show both in the Earned Value table as well as on the Task line in the Task Usage view. Add the BCWP, BCWS, ACWP fields to the timescaled portion.

The best I can suggest is to look into exporting the timescaled values to Excel. You'll need some VBA code to get there -- but Rod Gill (Project MVP) has some of his code on the MSDN site.

Check the below link:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...ice.12%29.aspx

Thanks for your help - I'll contact my IT department to see if they can give me any help on that one.

Thats Great. Let us know how you get along and thank you for the feedback.