Thread: Duration vs. Actual Work

Duration vs. Actual Work

I have got a task with a 5d duration and 5d of work. When I complete only part of my work each day, then my duration and finish date should grow accordingly. I have checked both Move check boxes in tools > options > calculate. There are actually 4 move check boxes but I have checked just the 2 that are at the top level. In day 1, I have completed only 0.5d of work. This moves my completion date 0.5d ahead. I have then set my current date and status date in Project > Information to the next calendar date. On my second day, I have completed only 0.5d of work and my completion date pushes the duration of the task ahead another 0.5d which will make my duration field equal to 6d but the duration field remains at 5d. When I do only 0.5d of work each day, then my task duration should grow from 5d to 10d but instead of that my duration field remains at 5d and my final SV is 0. I dont know why the duration will not grow and my SV does not reflect a blown schedule? Thanks for any information.

Re: Duration vs. Actual Work

When you will look at your Gantt Chart then you will see that your task has been split many times. Project is thinking that you only worked 4 hours and has moved the remaining work to recommence the next morning at 8:00. Did you try to record actual work per day in either the Task Usage or Resource Usage view? That method will do what I think you are seeking.

Try to follow the below steps and see if that works:

1. First of all you need to set task to Fixed Units with a duration of 5 days
    2. After that go to Tools->Options->Calc has both Move checkboxes checked
    3. Now, for instance, I have one resource assigned at $125/hr or $1,000/day
    4. After that I set my baseline
    5. Each day I set % Work Complete equal to 10% which is only half of what I planned to do for the day
    6. I now see a split task with the planned finish date moving ahead by half a day.
    7. Each day I go to Project->Info and advance the current day and status day ahead by one day and then I add another 10% of work complete once again moving the finish day ahead by half a day.

Re: Duration vs. Actual Work

I'm trying to determine how Actual Duration is derived. and this explanation doesn't match what I am seeing.

I have a Task with three Resource.

Task Start
    03/30/2010
    Task Finish
    05/20/2010
    Actual Work
    21h
    Actual Duration
    1d

The timephase Actual Work for the Resources, starting on 3/30 is:

Res1 0 0 4 0 0 0 0 0 3 2 0 0 0 0 0 2 3
    Res2 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 1
    Res3 (no Actual Work)

If the Actual Duration is the actual work hours, I would expect that it would be 2.6d. If it were the working days from the start, I would expect it to be 8d.

How is Actual Duration 1d?