Thread: Planned vs Actual Work and % complete

Planned vs Actual Work and % complete

I am working on MS Project that I have been using from almost sometime now. I have set up a basic test schedule with 5 tasks, choosen task type duration and not selected effort driven. I also have 3 additional fields in the basic gantt view, which is, work, actual work and %complete. I have got a tasks of a fixed duration, that is, I have a 4 hour task that will take a 2 day duration. If I am populating the actual work field, then the %complete changes. But what if I have got a task with a dutration of 2 days, 5 hours per day, will the resource complete the task on day 2 in 3 hours? This seems that the planned hours were 10 hours, the actuals were 8 and the %complete is 100% leaving the 2 hours as an under-spend or time saved. Can anyone tell me a method to model this thing? Thanks

RE: Planned vs Actual Work and % complete

You can try to enter actual work, remaining work and remaining duration in the columns containing those names. In the case that you have, you can set remaining work and remaining duration to 0. It will then set %complete to 100% and give cost and schedule variances.

Re: Planned vs Actual Work and % complete

You can try to add the remaining work column and when the actual work is 8, zero out the Remaining Work column and then it will set the task to 100% complete. You can also try to track by % Work Complete and not % Complete. When you are entering timephased work data then try to enter that in the Resource or Task Usage view. You just need to right click on the table to the right and add Actual Work. After that you can try to enter how many hours a day each resource works. After that add the Remaining Work to the table at the left and zerop it out when the work is completed.

When you have already entered the Actual Work, that is 5 hour on day 1 and 3 hour on day 2, in the Task Usage or Resource Usage View, then try set the Remaining Work to zero.