Thread: Finish to Finish tasks

Finish to Finish tasks

We are working with Microsoft Project 2007. We’ve created two Projects including 5 tasks each with different durations for projects. For reference, let me named these projects as A and B. All these tasks have Finish to Start link which should be started right after its predecessor. Also Task Tasks A3 and B4 must finish at the same time. After some research I thought it could be done by using Finish to Finish link.

Well I did the same and it works as well but not as I assumed. It stops the neat stacking of tasks B1,B2,B3 and B4, they become disjointed with large gaps between some of their ends and the start of the next task. Any idea what am I making wrong? Somebody please help me to get it done. Many thanks.

Re: Finish to Finish tasks

As you stated you have done finish-to-finish link, first of all you must know that it doesn’t means both A and B will finish at the same time. By doing so, it means that B cannot be finished until A. You also said that the successor tasks must start within 24 hours of the end of the predecessor. Here if A3 and B4 must finish at the same time then that constraint imposes constraints on the sum of the durations of the predecessor tasks.

Anyways, you can simply paste a link to the finish date of A3 to the finish date of A4 if you really want B4 to finish on the same date as A3. And you can do this by selecting the A3 finish date from the menu, click Finish/Copy Cell. Once done, select B4 finish date, go to Menu and select Edit/Paste Special/Paste Link.

Re: Finish to Finish tasks

That’s exactly what I wanted to know, thank you very much Big Fish. The info about pasting a finish date between tasks
    is particularly useful.