Thread: Scheduling multiple resources on a task to finish quicker

Scheduling multiple resources on a task to finish quicker

I have a task which is estimated to take 300 hours for the completion and i have 3 resources assigned to the task. The very first resource starts immediately, the second resource starts in a week and the third resource starts in two weeks. For some reason the project is assigning 100 hours to each resource and is not assigning the task to complete the last resource. I have tried creating separate sub-tasks and have tried creating different resource to each sub-task and manually playing hours for each each resource in order to get the earliest resource to get completed but that's not working. Is there anyone who can help??

RE: Scheduling multiple resources on a task to finish quicker

It seems as if the project is recognizing the duration as manhours and not 300 hours. Just try going through the settings of the task and make sure that the "task
    type" is set to fixed duration. I guess it might be set to "fixed work" and that's the reason Microsoft Project is recognizing tasks as 300 hours of work . You can even set the percentage of time the each resource will work on the task.

I don't know how Microsoft Project calculation works but as far as i am aware you can input the work for each resource. In that way the task will end for all the resources on the same day. Just split the screen , use the form view for setting "Resource Schedule" and input following hours - 140, 100, 60 for your 3 resources and the task will end on the same day for all the 3 resources.

RE: Scheduling multiple resources on a task to finish quicker

That worked, i tried splitting the task into three, assigned them separate resource to each subtask, entered hours accordingly for all of my 3 resources, added a deadline to the task and now the task are ending on the same day for all the 3 resources.

Re: Scheduling multiple resources on a task to finish quicker

I also have a question...
    Suppose A and B is working on the same project. On a particular date say for example 12/Aug/2009, A starts working on a task 'x' and B starts working on task 'y'. 'x' will take only 1.1 day but 'y' will take 2.2 days. After completing the task 'y' A has to join with B for doing task 'y'. So my problem is, when i am allocating some % (say for example 25 %) of "A"'s work for task 'y' , office project is showing over allocation on 12/Aug/2009. How will i rectify it. Please help me.