Thread: schedule variance

schedule variance

After I complete my project I wont have schedule variance (sc), but there will be some cost variance (cv). Since, when I complete the project, there is no work left, yet to complete, but there is a chance I would have incurred more expense than I planned so there will be a cost variance. The question that I am having is, I would have planned to complete on date X, but I really completed on date Y? So, what we call the days difference, that is, Y -X days, is it called delay? What should we call the Amount difference, that is, $(Y-X), ie, Actual BAC - Planned BAC?

I think that would be Finish Variance. You should note that Cost Variance is a little bit different than CD in Microsoft Project, as CV is the cost variance as of the Status Date. The Cost Variance is the overall predicted cost variance (Estimate at completion - Budget at completion).

The days difference ie. ( Y - X ) days that you are thinking about is a Delay, which is not, it is called Finish Variance and is measured in days. The amount difference ie. $(Y-X), that you are terming is called Cost Variance (CV) and it may be favorable or unfavorable.

schedule variance

I have one urgent question. I need to calculate the schedule variance for the below data. Can anybody help please?
    Planned start Date of the project - 1st April 2010
    Planned end Date of the project - 16th April 2010
    Actual start Date of the project - 12th April 2010
    Actual end Date of the project - 28th May 2010