Thread: fiscal year calendar

fiscal year calendar

I have got an issue with the fiscal year calendar of the timescale - gantt chart, that does display 53 weeks instead of 52. Now, week 01 is the one of 5th january that belonds to week 02 2009. Can anyone tell me how to change this because it is leading to a lot of confusions and not correct data with regards to timing and deadlines. Thanks for any information.

Re: fiscal year calendar

It might not be just the fiscal year settings, incase you uncheck that option, then you will note that there are still 53 weeks in the year. I also dont think that this setting can be changed.

Yes, I have tried all the options that I know but cannot figure our how to fix this problem. I also dont believe that there is no way? Incase such tool is meant to be a planning one, then it should secure the total amount of week numbers a year which is correct. How do we plan then? Thanks.

I also do not know if it will suit your needs but you can try chaning the timescale to show date information instead of week 1, week 2, etc. Also, I dont think that the timescale information, other than formatting, can be configured by the user.

There is half a solution:

Provided (1) your project plan is less than 1 year long and (2) your project will finish on or before the last day of the last calendar week in the year then we can use MS Project options to display the correct CW for 2009 as follows:

Menu Project:Project Information - set "Project Start Date" to the first day of the first week in your calendar year. For 2009, assuming you have "Week starts on" set to "Sunday" in menu Tools:Options:Calendar then set "Project Start Date" to 28 December 2008

In the Gantt Chart Timescale panel set Units to "Week" and Label to "W1, W2, W3, W4......(From Start)"

Your week number will now display correctly for 2009 but if your project runs into 2010 then the week number will continue to count upwards into 53, 54, 55 etc. Hence the restrictions with this solution mentioned above.

Finally, you might like to go in to menu Tools:Options:Schedule and set the value against "New Tasks" to "Start on Current Date" to make adding new tasks easier later in the year.

It's only half a solution because it only works for 1 calendar year at a time but it might just do the job.