Thread: Can I establish start and finish time for specific task?

Can I establish start and finish time for specific task?

Can anyone tell me whether MS Project 2007 has the capabilites to input a start and finish time for a specific task in conjunction with the Start and Finish dates? For example:

1. Task 1 - Excavate Dirt- Monday Oct 1. 07:00hrs to 12:00hrs
    2. Task 2 - Build forms- Monday Oct 1. 12:00hrs to 14:00hrs
    3. Task 2 - Form Rebar- Monday Oct1. 14:00hrs to 19:00hrs

Thanks for any help.

Re: Can I establish start and finish time for specific task?

You can try to specify scheduling to the accuracy that you may require in MS Project by following the below methods:
    1. First of all make sure that both your options/Calendar settings and the Base Calendar for your project are in sync and allow for a working day that is not the default OOTB. I think that you are looking to achieve a 12 hour day with no lunch break.
    2. Then try to display the times by going to Tools >> Options >> View and in the Date format section choose the format most suited for your needs, you might want one of the selections that displays time as well as date.
    3. After that look at your list of tasks if your working day spans from 7 trhough to 19 hours with no interruptions, you can simply enter the tasks, edit durations to be 5h, 2h and 5h respectively and link them together, the 2nd and 3rd tasks will start at the desired times.

RE: Can I establish start and finish time for specific task?

I dont think you will be able to do that. You have the option to set either a start or finish date but not both. Project normally calculates dates from data you enter about the work or duration required to complete each task. That will automatically set start and finish dates for all your tasks, except the start of the first task which should have a start date set if there is no predecessor.

I also have a question...
    Suppose A and B is working on the same project. On a particular date say for example 12/Aug/2009, A starts working on a task 'x' and B starts working on task 'y'. 'x' will take only 1.1 day but 'y' will take 2.2 days. After completing the task 'y' A has to join with B for doing task 'y'. So my problem is, when i am allocating some % (say for example 25 %) of "A"'s work for task 'y' , office project is showing over allocation on 12/Aug/2009. How will i rectify it. Please help me.

Hello,

I am also trying to specify the start "time" of a task. I wholeheartedly agree that dates and times should be determined between tasks by the predecessor relationship and not "hardcoded". However, I mainly need to see the time on large project implementation plans. For ex, our last PSoft project implementation was 103 hours of 24/7 work so seeing the time really helped everyone stay on track.

Anyway, I didn't see this thread until today and I had MS Project installed on my machine about two weeks ago. I am trying to find the 2010 equivalent of 2007's "Tools > Options > View" menu path and am a loss thus far. Can anyone help?

I appreciate any info you can provide.

Hi ... nevermind, I just found it under File > Options > Date Format. thanks.