Thread: MS Office Project has stopped working error message

MS Office Project has stopped working error message

When I am trying to open a project file which is in .mpp file format I am getting a error. The project crashes completely with all my existing files which are open. The error on the screen appear saying that there is a problem with project so it stopped working. I am not able to figure out the issue behind this. Why the problem appeared. It was working well and it is basically crashing only on opening that file. I am quiet annoyed with the issue. I need some help on the same. Thanks.

I am getting the same kind of issue on my system also. Project was working fine, but somehow it stopped working. I do not know why what was the problem behind the same. It is a bit annoying to find this issue suddenly. There are around 100 project files which started crashing and there is nothing we can do. I tried to re-install the same again and again but still it fails to work. But still it is working well with some couple of files and some files which I had not checked long time ago stopped working and are causing the crash. It is really very annoying and I am not able to find find a solution on it. Thanks.

Just to confirm, you have XP as the running OS on your machine and Microsoft Office Project 2007 with SP1?
    Was there anything you were working on or installed yesterday that was out of the ordinary? Maybe changed settings in Project?
    Can you pass me the file you are actually trying to open (we want to test it out on our end and see if we experience a situation identicle to yours).

Does your machine have SP2 installed (for XP).
    I'm trying to pinpoint what could be the problem but in the meantime Brian can you please send me a sample file.
    I want to see on our machines if we experience the same problem.

For me, I am running XP, have SP1 installed and have Project 2007 Standard. I
    worked in Project all day on 9/30. On 10/1, none of my files would open.
    Other staff members can open these files so I know they aren't corrupt.
    No new installs, updates or changes within the program were made before the
    problem started on 10/1.
    Help!

can you send me a private message? I can forward you the contact information...
    I'm stiall waiting for Brian to send me his...but in the meantime if I can get yours asap it would be great

Glad to have this problem sorted out. As Julie mentioned we have had problems in the past with Norton and Office. To resolve this, we would need someone who is a registered user with Norton to log a bug on this.
    Unfortunately I could not repro this because I do not have the license to run Norton's AV.

I got the wonderful news this morning that Melissa is able to open her files, and many posters thereof.

Dushan, I don't know why it causes problem with MS Project. Unfortunately we do not have the ability to know why Norton behaves this way when downloading/installing Office-plug.

Re: MS Office Project has stopped working error message

I am also having the same issue but with some files only. I had categories my project files on the basis of months. Files which are 6 months old are crashing. It is a bit weird to find that this files are corrupted. I had not done any changes and it was working well. But when I double click on the old files the project crash. It looks some settings or updates has destroyed the files. It is not getting more and more complicated. We cannot simply trust project on our old data. I had started keeping a backup with me so that for reference purpose at least I can view them in future.

MS Project Stops Working - Vista

I too am all of a sudden having the same error as described above. I'm running Vista Home Premium w/o SP1. I can open the very same project files on my XP SP2 machine without error. This problem started on Tuesday, 9/30. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have arrived here on this board for the first time because of this error. I've tried both repair and reinstall to no avail. This problem is real...

Thanks!

I am getting that issue on Windows Vista. I am using Microsoft Project 2003. I am was having a doubt on the same before related to compatibility but things were going fine. There was some updates that are installed and I thought it would stabilize my computer. But it destroyed the same. All old files which are on the system failed to work. They are not at all responding. Before I use to open 10/20 files at a single time and today when I open atleast 2 files it crashes. Due to updates my files are screwed up and I am not able to work on it.

I logged a ticket with Microsoft and they reviewed my system. I had also noticed when I was trying to lauch a project the virus scan was running. During their review of the problem they had me change my Norton Anti-Virus setting by unchecking the "Microsoft Office Documents" option.

Steve

MS Office Project has Stopped Working Error Message

I had written in this post earlier about the exact same problem that I was having. The issue definitely is associated with Norton. I have Norton Internet 2009. To get rid of the error, the following needs to be done.
    * Right Click on the Norton Protection Center Icon from the system tray
    * Select Norton Internet Security
    * Click Settings
    * Under Basic Security, click Auto-Protect
    * Click Configure
    * Under Real-Time Protection, take the checkmark off "Turn on scanning for Micorsoft Office documents"

That should do the trick. I think that Symantec may have applied an update over the past few days hence everyone is experiencing the same issue.

Thanks

Does sometime this kind of issues are generated due to antivirus. I am bit doubtful on the same. I thought first that my system started facing this issue suddenly. But later on I found the problem was with norton. I do not understand the reason but to some extent was blocking my files and due to which project crashed. I came to know about this when I was changing my antivirus. I removed it and added McAfee. But in between I just clicked on the mpp files and they opened up. It started working. Has anyone got a valid answer behind this thing.

Hi Julie,

I too had this exact same problem, but your instructions above worked and now I am able to open my project files again! I am running project 2007 with SP1 on Visat home premium.

I joined just to say thanks, so thanks!

Chelsey :)

I am having windows vista and have MS office 2007 installed.But I am not having MS project 2007.I tried to install a trial version of MS project 2003.The installation was successfull but when I start running the application ,am getting the error message "Microsoft project has stopped working".I read through the lder threads the older threads to find a solution ,but am not using Norton so I beleive ther won't be any issue with that.I tried to downlad SP3 and run it but it is shwing the message "The expected versin of the product was not found on your system".

I have a different problem. I am able to open any .mpp file and work on it. However, while I am working on the file whether it be a new one or editing a previous file, the program stops working and I lose everything I edited or created. I am working with Windows 7 and Microsot Office 2003.

I appreciate any help you can provide.

I had faced a similar issue some weeks before where when I was trying to import a project file and the software has stopped working. I am using Microsoft Project Standard on my system. For fixing the same there are some installation patch which you can get with the help of Windows update. Run the same and then check back. If still the same issue lies then try re-install the same.

Dear Michaels,

Thank you for your reply. I tried to install the security patch I found as available updates, but it really doesn't appear to be a security issue. I would appreciate yuor response with instructions in a step by step manner as I am not the most knowledgable with respect to the detail of the program updates, etc. I also reinstalled the software and find that the program still "stops working".

thank you for your help.

If you have a portable Project 2003, then you can restart it by deleting the TEMP folder.(which will be recreated again with default settings)