Thread: How to set deadline in Microsoft Project

How to set deadline in Microsoft Project

Hello!

I am using MS Project 2007. I can set the deadline to a tasks.
    The problem is, that when i go to Tools - Options - View and click "show project summary task", grey bar shows up indicating the duration of the whole project, and I wish to set the deadline to it but it is not possible. Does anyone knows how I can achieve this?

I think there is no way to set a deadline date in project summary task. It can be complicated. You can try to find a detailed manual that can offer you more detail on the same. You will need to include a final milestone task in the project that might work well or else it is a complete waste of time. Adding a milestone is a kind of good idea that allow you to work more. There are some good resources on web that can guide you for this. You just need to visit them and go through the documents. There is ample of information available on it.

Thank so much for all the information!

I suspect you were doing instead of setting task dependencies. Right?
    Tasks that must follow one after another were linked. There are tasks that go independent one from other, so they are not linked with lots of tasks under them that are linked. The arrows I noticed about, where those arrows, that show up when these independent tasks are linked to deadline milestone. When one task is linked to another and so on, it looks very readable, but when five tasks are linked to depending deadline milestone, it looks quite arrowed.. ;)

"Best Practices"
    suggest that A: Projects always have at least a Start milestone and a
    Finish milestone; and B: all tasks have at least one predecessor and at
    least one successor. If nothing else is the predecessor, the start
    milestone is the predecessor, and if nothing else is the successor, the
    finish milestone is.
    This is a very good organization of a project. What to do, if there are independent tasks? They all must be linked to the next big task, right?

You need to tell the software the
    dependency relationship between all of the tasks in the project. Otherwise,
    how will the software know when things are supposed to be done?
    My idea was that, if there are, for example, 10 big tasks that are not linked one with another, but under them we have lots of small tasks that are linked one with another within one of a grand tasks. Then, if it was possible to set the deadline for the project and then if some of the 10 task wood go over the deadline date, then user would be noticed and user would not need to create a deadline milestone for the project and link all these 10 grand tasks to the end milestone, and no additional arrows would appear. Some how I think that it might be possible for software to control it. What do you think?

Thank you Paul!
    Your idea will work, but in practice when you have some jobs done, some jobs in the middle and some undone in the building site, then I think, it will be hard, to count all deadlines from the end.. Or its just hard for me.. But maybe I'll get used to it!! :)

At the moment I'm new to this program, and I'm trying to find the best and simplest way, to coordinate and control things even not knowing what this software is capable of, I fell, that it can do much. It would be great to see someones mpp file, just to click it around, to see how advanced it is possible to create adding all the workers, machinery etc. Just discovered, that it is possible to add columns with user defined formulas, I like it very much. I already have an idea, that I must make one column that contains data of amount of job that must be done, second column, that would contain the approximate amount of job that can be done in one day, and the third column would calculate how much days are needed for this work to be done by dividing first column by the second.. What do you think about this idea? Other vice I have never organized things, and I think its not even possible to guess how much time it would take.. :) So I'm widely opened for any ideas that could help me better in my new job and it would be greatly appreciated.