Thread: Video Error- "Video decoder is either corrupt or not installed"

Video Error- "Video decoder is either corrupt or not installed"

I’m using this Gateway XP Media Center Edition 2005 since long time for watching Live TV in Media Center. Recently due to some other reason I formatted the hard drive and re-installed MCE again. Did all settings for the Media Center and Live TV, but now whenever I try to play TV it says:

Video Error- "Video decoder is either corrupt or not installed"

I rechecked all settings and replugged all cables, but yet the error persists. Any idea what has gone wrong? Please advice.

If you used Gateway recovery disc for the re-installation then it would have done all things properly including DVD decoder. But if you re-installed MCE manually then did you install DVD decoders which are required for Media Center to work fine? If not, then you will need to find and install the same. Ask Gigabyte for the decoders. Apart from this, visit your TV Tuner card’s manufacturer website and download/install the drivers by properly selecting MCE version. Many times incorrect drivers also create this problem.

Even I had this problem with Media Center and the cause was video decoder error. Somebody suggested me to download powerdvd. I installed the same and my Media Center started working fine. But as the powerdvd was Trail version, I removed it after some days and again Media Center stopped working. So, if you have money, you can purchase powerdvd and get your problem solved.

Re: Video Error- "Video decoder is either corrupt or not installed"or missing. Here is your answer!! for your M1070N Media

bzzzzzzzzz!! Not sure why this information is incorrect....I had to register just to post the correct answer....This link is for the M1070N Windows XP Home Edition...I strongly suggest you visit this link and update or check your system. I had the same issues with my Media, CORRUPT OR MISSING... I downloaded some of these updates and reloaded the Intervideo DVD, its says its an update, but its both an update and a install..Do the install since you could have lost this software. That's it!!! And again, do download all of these files via this link since our system is a tad old..After you completed your updates, restart your computer although it does not state to do so.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...426501&lang=en

P.S DO NOT BUY ANYTHING!!!!
    Last edited by megabiteme; 24-06-2009 at 09:51 PM.

Re: Video Error- "Video decoder is either corrupt or not installed"

This post was a reply for the missing or corrupt decoder message. It should work on the G.W as well, but is the fix for the H.P Media Home Edition model M1070N...Hope that clears it up some. The title/thread above should explain what this post was for anyway yes? Unless I'm not seeing something...Sorry for the mess...