Thread: No Desktop Icons, Taskbar, Start, anything PLEASE HELP!!!!!

No Desktop Icons, Taskbar, Start, anything PLEASE HELP!!!!!

I bought a HP pavillion desktop three months ago which came pre-loaded with windows XP media center edition. It worked fine for two months but later started giving me problems. First suddenly don’t know what gone wrong preset desktop background disappeared and all I had been a blue screen. It wont allows me to change the background because the option was disabled already. Now about a week ago I started getting “windows data execution prevention” error every now and then regarding Internet Explorer. Then my blue background vanished and i was left with the active desktop recovery and i would tell the comp to recover my desktop but nothing happened.

No matter which user account (Admin or Non Admin) I use, there is no icons or wallpapers on my Desktop. Can anyone please tell me whats wrong with my system and how can I fix it? Many thanks.

Re: No Desktop Icons, Taskbar, Start, anything PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Are you able to open Task Manager by pressing keys (Ctrl+Alt+Del)? If yes, open it, click File, New task and enter “RSTRUI.EXE”

This will open System Restore Window. Simply restore your windows to more than a month old restore point where your computer was running fine. And if it wont solves the problem, simply call up HP service centers and get it fixed for free as your desktop is still under warranty.

I have never seen so many problems in a new computer. Probably not with the desktop icons or backgrounds. The symptoms seems like your system is infected with malware or any virus. You should better scan your system with any updated good antivirus or malware program. If you don’t have one, better do it with any Online malware scanner.

A system restore is a system restore, I have had the same problem and am baffled. My restore will not work. As far as I know, YOU CAN NOT CHOOSE WHAT POINT TO RESTORE TO. If you do restore, I am afraid you will lose all the documents and programs you saved up to the point where you created a system restore point. Its annoying i know! :) hope this helps...