Thread: How can XP Media Center be made to recieve "Clear QAM" cable

How can XP Media Center be made to recieve "Clear QAM" cable

I made an upgrade to a new computer to XP media center and also purchased a ATI TV Wonder HD650 PCI Express tuner card. It was told that with this card I can get "Unscrambled Clear QAM Digital TV / HDTV", but it says in small fine print in a footnote that it has "Clear QAM is supported in Windows Vista using ATI Catalyst Media Center". I have checked on many postings that this "note" is actually true. And I dont have Windows Vista. The main reason I purchased this card is to watch and record digital TV on the computer. Is there any way to get my computer to recieve these digital channels or will I have to buy a third party software?

Re: How can XP Media Center be made to recieve "Clear QAM" cable

I dont this that you will at this time receive clear QAM in either Windows XP or Vista Media Center, for the moment, you may have to use the ATI application to watch and record clear QAM. And when the Vista Media Center update gets released and comes out then you will be able to do that in Vista hopefully.

Re: How can XP Media Center be made to recieve "Clear QAM" cable

I guess that you will need to upgrade to get the cable unencoded HD. I dont think that Windows Vista is bad but I have been running it on 2 Media Centers and a laptop for more than a year without any problems. I dont know for sure you will be able to get clear qam in Vista's media Center either, you will have to watch it using the software that came with the tuner might be.