Thread: Configuration help to connect Windows Media Center with TV

Configuration help to connect Windows Media Center with TV

I need some help to find a proper configuration settings to connect Media Center to a TV. I am having a cable connection also. I am using a HP Pavilion laptop. It has media center in it. So I thought it would be better if I connect the same on laptop and then on the TV and share the same videos on two devices. Also it will allow me to record the videos as per my need. I need some help here to do this manually.

What issue you are facing. I think configuration of Media Center is not at all complicated. All you need is to find proper cable connectivity between your laptop and the TV. You will also need a TV Tuner card without that there is no way to stream those programs on your laptop. If your laptop does not has a TV Tuner cards you can buy a external one and hook that on the system. It will work well without giving any issue.

You need a proper set top box for that. I am using one. It comes for a reasonable price. You will need to hook your laptop on set top box and then connect the tv on the same. The cable connection also goes to the set to box. It is one of the best way to share different media content on systems and on pc also.

re: Configuration help to connect Windows Media Center with TV

I have the same problem with the same computer and TV card that was purchased from Costco. Everything worked fine on my computer without a cable box but I could only get some of the first 20 channels. My problem started with Blue Screen of Death crashes as a result of bad memory chips. I did a system restore and since then I cannot use the TV feature. I have the current driver and Device Manager shows the TV card to be working properly. It just that Windows Media Center indicates that the TV tuner is not available or in in use by another application.

Quote Originally Posted by jameslwi View Post
    I have the same problem with the same computer and TV card that was purchased from Costco. Everything worked fine on my computer without a cable box but I could only get some of the first 20 channels. My problem started with Blue Screen of Death crashes as a result of bad memory chips. I did a system restore and since then I cannot use the TV feature. I have the current driver and Device Manager shows the TV card to be working properly. It just that Windows Media Center indicates that the TV tuner is not available or in in use by another application.
    Can you tell us what kind of blue screen error message you are getting? When you say that you had a bad memory, then did you try to use new memory and checked whether the problem was solved or not. What is the operating system installed in your pc? Check the following steps to fix the services through which live TV would start working again:
    • Click on the Start menu, choose Run and type cmd
    • Run the command regsvr32.exe atl.dll
    • Run the command %windir%\ehome\ehrecvr.exe /unregServer
    • Run the command %windir%\ehome\ehsched.exe /unregServer
    • Run the command %windir%\ehome\ehrecvr.exe /service
    • Run the command %windir%\ehome\ehsched.exe /service

My computer is an HP A6357c running Windows Vista and the TV card is a ViXS PureTV-U 48B0 (NTSC/ATSC Combo) TV tuner.

The Blue Screen error and memory problems I was having are irrelevent to this thread and was only mentioned as the basis for my doing a system restore
    It was through hacking that I determined that two of my memory chips (or related memory slots and/or motherboard) were bad. Stand-alone memory diagnostics did not fail, however, removing those two memory cards enabled me to complete the system restore.

After the system restore, my TV card didn't work. It has the current driver and the Device Manger indicates it is working properly. However, Windows Media Center tells me that it is not there or is being used by another process.

Hi jameslwi,

You can try to search for the KB974817 patch and install it in your pc by searching it on google. It will update the WMP/WMC and in the process, and it will possibly get rid of any errors or current configs that may be causing this not to work for you. Also can you check if it is listed in the device manager? It should be under Sound, Video and Game Controllers. Simply right click on it and choose Update Driver Software.

All the updates I could find for KB974817 applied only to Windows 7 and 64 bit systems. Windows Update is enabled on my 32 bit system and there are no unapplied updates. The last update for Media Center I could find was:

Cumulative Update for Media Center for Windows Vista (KB974306).

Yes, my ViXS PureTV-U 48B0 (NTSC/ATSC Combo) TV tuner card does show up in Device Manager which indicates it is working properly.

WMC gives me the following message:
    "Tuner Not Available
    The tuner is ucrrently in use by another application or is not working. Please close all other applications, restart Windows Media Center, and then try again."

jameslwi,

Have you installed McAfee by any chance in your pc? If so then try to do the following steps given below to rectify this issue:

1. Disable the McAfee firewall, using only Windows firewall and any router if any.

2.In McAfee Security Center, Home > Manage Network, just tick "trust this network."

3.Reboot and check if it solves your issue.