Thread: Windows Media Center Does Not Detect ATSC Clear Qam Cable Channels

Windows Media Center Does Not Detect ATSC Clear Qam Cable Channels

I have Windows Vista running with media Center. Recently I bought a new VisionTek 650 PCI HD Tuner Card which works very fine with ATI Catalyst Media Center (a program that came along with the card). The problem am facing is Vista media Center just wont detect the digital side from a cable connection.

As a work around I followed few suggestions provided on web regarding the same including Microsoft Hot Fixes and entering channels manually but none of them helped. And don’t have any idea left to make it work. Can anyone help me with this? Thank you very much.

Re: Windows Media Center Does Not Detect ATSC Clear Qam Cable Channels

It dint worked and will not work whatever you do because Vista does not support QAM Cable Channels. The only way left to watch unencrypted channels from a cable source would be to purchase a Digital Cable Ready PC with one or more Digital Cable Tuners. One place where I know you can buy Digital Cable Tuner is Sony. You can buy it from their site but first make sure it is certified as Digital Cable Ready.

Re: Windows Media Center Does Not Detect ATSC Clear Qam Cable Chan

Yes, that is correct. Vista doesn’t have support for Qam Cable as of now but there is an update scheduled for Vista Media Center later this year which will include QAM support which will be compatible with other then cable card tuners. However Microsoft has not commented anything on this. Even ATI haven’t said anything about QAM support in MC in Vista.

Re: Windows Media Center Does Not Detect ATSC Clear Qam Cable Chan

You stated yourself, your using ATI's software, not Vista, if the ATI software wasn't installed, no Qam because Vista doesn't support it, it requires 3rd party software to work.